Help! They've gone insane!

fowlisfairfarms

Hatching
Oct 26, 2015
Loxahatchee, Fl
I have 4 guinea fowl (2 male, 2 female) and 5 chickens. (1 rooster and 4 hens). They have been together for at least two months. They have gotten along fine. No problems. However, today, the guineas have turned aggressive and mean to the chickens. They were biting and pulling out the feathers of the rooster and one of the hens. Even when I was chasing them away, they kept attacking. They free range all day and the chickens are locked in the coop at night. The guineas roost about 30 feet up in the trees and will not be penned up. What happened?!! I can't have them attacking the chickens and I'm not sure what to do with them. Thanks for any advice.

Day length is increasing resulting in a hormonal surge, and the guinea fowl have decided they don't want any competition in 'their' territory. Once they get something in their little bald heads, guinea fowl can be relentless. It may be necessary to keep the chickens penned up to protect them.

I have both free ranging and they get along fine, I never see the guineas harassing any chickens (now people and turkeys, yes - pretty funny to watch a few guineas "gang up" on a turkey, only to be put into their place a short while later, turkeys are not to be trifled with). I raise them together only when young and then release the guineas as a group, and never any chickens with them. The already existing chickens have "home field advantage" and the guineas just fit in ok with all of them, but they *never* flock together. They never loiter around either the turkeys or chickens. I have a lot of roos and only the strongest get a flock of hens to protect, I don't like the chances for any guineas that get it into their head to harass one of the "protected" hens. Fortunately, they are both fast to run away and there has never been any bloodshed.

I would keep the chickens confined for about a week, then release them and see what happens. Guineas are not the brightest bulbs in the box, I bet they forget what a chicken is after a few days.

Back
Top Bottom