Keeping chickens out of main yard

BurchFam

Hatching
5 Years
May 7, 2014
I work from home so i've started letting my chickens roam all day. I have a mostly wooded lot. The chickens used to mainly stick to the back yard and wooded edge, but now they've become quite comfortable and are now in the front a LOT. I didn't mind here and there, but now I'm battling CONSTANT chicken poop. Its like having an extra dog. Any advice to get the chickens back. We tried 4' fence but they just hop that. I have a run large enough for them, but I feel bad. It doesn't get as much sun and they've picked all the green out of it. Do I have to just live with this until my next round of birds when these gals stop laying or lock them up? My husband would like to clip their wing but I'm not keen on this (severe animal lover here). Any thoughts are welcome!

My girls were hopping their 4' fence and I attached plastic bird spikes to the top of it. Now they don't hop it anymore. The bird spikes come with glue and I used that and zip ties to attach them.

Poop everywhere is the number 2(hahaha) reason (hawks are number 1) my birds are confined to a run.
Maybe leave them in the run most the day and let them range a bit just before sunset/roost time.

Back
Top Bottom