Chickens keep going into neighbor's yard

Pics

eighthens525

Chirping
Nov 12, 2019
Bakersville, North Carolina
My chickens keep wandering into my neighbor's yard even though they have 5 acres to free-range on. My run is pretty small and so I don't like to leave them in there all the time and they are so much happier free-ranging but I really don't want them wandering into my neighbor's yard. Does anyone have any tips to keep them more contained that doesn't involve locking them in?

My chickens keep wandering into my neighbor's yard even though they have 5 acres to free-range on. My run is pretty small and so I don't like to leave them in there all the time and they are so much happier free-ranging but I really don't want them wandering into my neighbor's yard. Does anyone have any tips to keep them more contained that doesn't involve locking them in?
Can you get fencing?
(Does that work with chickens or do they fly over it?)

Simple fencing…. Doesn’t have to be predator-proof, just talk enough to deter them. The posts will be your biggest investment, unless you make your own with wood. The fencing can be chicken wire, snow fencing…second hand even — check craigslist and other sites near you. How much space are you talking about
They can get into the neighbor's yard from so many directions so it would be impossible to fence off their access to the yard.

If the chickens are really motivated and can fly, then fencing alone may not be sufficient so you could consider clipping wings as well.

My first approach is to put a feeding station or two in a direction that takes them away from property boundary of concern. Make so the feeding station has cover near it such as a clump of bushes so the chickens are prone to loaf there. If your yard is just lawn you have problems.

What resource does the neighbor's property appear have that interests the chickens?

I have no idea what is over there that they want so badly because I have so much space. They have a lot of leaves on the ground but so do I! I have them whistle trained to come back for scratch but they come back for the treat then run right back over to the neighbor's. I try to keep an eye on them but when I am gone I can't.

I have no idea what is over there that they want so badly because I have so much space. They have a lot of leaves on the ground but so do I! I have them whistle trained to come back for scratch but they come back for the treat then run right back over to the neighbor's. I try to keep an eye on them but when I am gone I can't.
Can you show pictures of yard area you want them in and area they are visiting?

If the run is too small that it would not be humane to keep them in there 24/7, it needs to be expanded. Period.
If it's not reasonable to put fencing because of how the property lines work, I'm not sure you have a lot for options. As someone else already mentioned, you could try to figure out what it is about the neighbor's place that has them going over there, but even if you put those things on your property it's no guarantee your chickens are going to stay. I'm glad you're asking about this though, as it is 100% your responsibility to keep your animals off your neighbors property.
I had a problem with chickens going into the woods behind their hen house and a couple of them got grabbed by predators a couple years ago. I put fencing just along that portion behind their coop and they don't go in the woods over there anymore, even though there are a lot of other entry points. Maybe fencing in a few strategic places would be enough to deter them.

Back
Top Bottom