Chickens keep going into neighbor's yard

My husband trained our chickens to stay in our boundaries by using their names and treats and certain words….continuity. It works 95% of the time.
That is what we used also. Now when they wander over there we just shake the treat bag and they come running. Also they can learn boundaries by just showing them a broom at the boundary. It worked for us

I had a problem with mine wandering over to my neighbors as well and we have 10 acres. The neighbors have some interesting bushes and mulch and shade that were easy for them to get to, so that's where they headed every day. I have since stopped free ranging because of it (neighbor has 4 dogs that I trust to not come into my yard, but I don't trust they wouldn't make a snack out of a chicken that was in their yard). Plus my neighbor has nice landscaping (unlike me) and wouldn't be too thrilled with them making a mess of her mulch.

I have a large protected run that is sufficient for them to spend the day in when needed (which is important for bad weather days anyway), but I also give them access to my garden which is fenced and about 50x80'. The fence is not great and only 4' tall, but it provides a boundary that is inconvenient for them to go over, so it works. They get a large area, full of dirt and bugs and greens. It's large enough for them to roam around in as if they were fully free ranging, and they seem satisfied with that amount of space now. In the summer, I block off areas that I've just planted, and then plant extra to account for what they might damage.

So maybe just fence off a large area round your coop (not the whole property)?

Unfortunately chickens go where chickens want, unless contained. You could try placing some enticing snacks (string up some vegies so they have to spend time getting them) away from neighbors property....but without fencing I dont see how you can stop them from wandering.
Mine have 2 acres but still go to neighbors to visit. Thankfully neighbor loves them. I do wonder if the neighbor would shoo them (maybe even a little spray with a hose?) would then discourage them from wanting to go.

My chickens keep wandering into my neighbor's yard even though they have 5 acres to free-range on. My run is pretty small and so I don't like to leave them in there all the time and they are so much happier free-ranging but I really don't want them wandering into my neighbor's yard. Does anyone have any tips to keep them more contained that doesn't involve locking them in?
Chickens love to free range! And seeing how happy it makes them is so fulfilling. And the eggs are yummy!

My chickens are in a free-range fenced paddock. About a 30x30 ft or larger area with bushes and trees for protection. Their coop is placed in the center. With low fencing they will jump out and wander about as they please though. (This is our current situation but a dog was able to jump right over and killed 4 of my 5 hens. We are raising the height to 8-10 feet and adding electric wire to the bottom on the outside to prevent predators digging in. I will open the door to let them out into the yard when they can be supervised once my flock is rebuilt)

So you could create an environment like that for them. “Controlled” free ranging. Or just only let them free range when you can keep an eye on them.

As someone from the PNW- I know the latter is not fun though in crummy weather 😅

Back
Top Bottom