ordering chicks from one hatchery and have them come from a different one

bantamrooster

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
How common is this?
So i was looking for some new laying hens nothing too special but something a little less common then all the feed stores around here get. I had a few breeds in mind and found two hatcheries that carried all of the ones i was looking for.
Both hatcheries had about the same reputation. One was a little higher priced but was a lot closer so i ordered from them.
They shipped yesterday and i asked when they thought they would arrive. They said in two or three days. I mentioned i thought maybe it would be a day or two since they were so close. She said oh no they shipped from a different state. I thought that was a little weird but didnt ask anymore about it.
As i tracked my order today sure enough they left a city and state a lot further away. When i saw the address i remembered thats where the other hatchery was from.
So i ordered from one hatchery to have chicks shipped from a different one. No big deal like mentioned theyre just layers but i did spend a little more figuring it was worth it to have them travel a lot less and save them some stress.
I now wonder how often this happens? How do you know where theyre even coming from? Or exactly what hatchery your money is supporting.

So they we out and accommodated your order from another hatchery. Probably happens from time to time. The hatchery probably does in reverse once in a while. . They probably give each other price breaks so they can both make money. .
If the chicks arrived healthy. .I'd just be happy with them...
Good luck with them

Id probably rather not name names but if you google chicken hatcheries the one i ordered from is in the top 5 that pop up i think. Theyre both pretty well known hatcheries and known as hatcheries not like a drop ship kinda place.
Ya i dont think its gonna be a problem and im not mad about it or anything. Like i said they seem to be about the same as far as hatcheries go and i would of expected about the same quality of birds from either.
It was just something new for me and made me curious.
Ive order hatchery birds quite a few times going all the way back to the 70s when you ordered a catalog in the mail, picked birds from it and snail mailed your order form and a check and waited for a letter or phone call for a shipping date.

Last edited:
Hi so my baby chicks hatched today and yesterday I really want to hold one n I know you can't touch them wth your hand but can u use latex gloves

Hi so my baby chicks hatched today and yesterday I really want to hold one n I know you can't touch them wth your hand but can u use latex gloves

Back
Top Bottom