How common is the 'Bloody Crest' thing on Polish?

KatyushaB

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 21, 2016
Utah, USA
I am a first time chicken owner who has yet to get chickens. There has been a lot of debate in my family going around on what breeds we are going to get, we have (hopefully) finally decided. We are going to have eight chickens, two of each breed. One of the breeds we are going to get is the Polish Chicken. Now I have read that because of the Polish's crest, they get picked on in a mixed flock, and tend to be at the bottom of the Pecking Order.

I have also read that in some cases the Polish get pecked to the point were blood is drawn, this then leads the other chickens into a pecking frenzy. If blood is drawn I will of course separate the Polish.

How common is this 'Bloody Crest' thing. I understand that you cannot always predict it because each chicken is different. But if you had to estimate the amount of Polish getting pecked to the point were blood is drawn, what would it be? Would it be like 1 in 5 Polish Chickens, or something like 3 out of 5 Polish Chickens?

The Polish breed are often at or near the bottom of the pecking order. That is due to their deferential nature, their small stature, and of course that mop on their head that limits their vision and reaction speed. I have never had my Polish picked on by others in my mixed flock. Just the usual peck by a dominant bird - no bullying and certainly no blood. I think a lot of it has to do with making sure the flock has an adequate sized coop and run and things to occupy their attention - things to scratch and peck at - so the dominant birds don't start getting bossy out of boredom. Just my thought....best of luck to you!

It does vary by flock, and some people have no problems at all. We did have issues and had to separate our Polish from the other chickens. The other birds just would not stop picking at the crests on the Polish, no matter what I tried. Mine was all 6 Polish being tormented. The Polish are in with ducks now, and they all get along fine.

I think a lot of it has to do with making sure the flock has an adequate sized coop and run and things to occupy their attention - things to scratch and peck at - so the dominant birds don't start getting bossy out of boredom. Just my thought....best of luck to you!
I think your right, if a bird get's bored it needs something to do - or peck. If the birds have space and things to do, there is no reason for pecking other birds. But bored birds in small spaces don't have anything else to do. Good point you made there!

Question real quick.. What breeds of birds were your Polish in, I am not by any means stating that those certain breeds are aggressive. I'm just curious

Last edited:
Our problem was not lack of space, inside or out. In the coop they had a bit more than 9 sq ft per bird, outside they ran a fenced 2 acres. It was simply the other birds not liking the crests. They also pulled out their beards. They just did not like them at all. The rest of the flock was marans, BO's and eggers.

Back
Top Bottom