How good are hoovers polish’s

Cool_Catrules456

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
FL. U.S.A
I have some white crested black polish chicks coming in next week. I am Hoping to get some breeding quality chicks at least. I have had good luck with their silkies and have gotten a few good quality pets. (The only thing holding them back was their color)
And what is hoovers best quality chicken breed that can be shown at a APA show? I know hatchery’s are going to be mediocre most of the time. But I am just wondering.

If you want to show, I think Cackle would be the best. Their birds are pretty good quality and can be shown but they are more expensive. Hoovers is kind of the lowest low hatchery and often mixes up both breed and gender too. BUT! If you already have them on order, we could probably help you work with them.

If you want to show, I think Cackle would be the best. Their birds are pretty good quality and can be shown but they are more expensive. Hoovers is kind of the lowest low hatchery and often mixes up both breed and gender too. BUT! If you already have them on order, we could probably help you work with them.
Yeah they are on oder. I actually have had an extremely bad experience with cackle. All the chicks I got from them have ended up dying to either genetic conditions or some kind of organ failure. And even then they weren’t show quality.

And how do I work with them?

Yeah they are on oder. I actually have had an extremely bad experience with cackle. All the chicks I got from them have ended up dying to either genetic conditions or some kind of organ failure. And even then they weren’t show quality.

Oh wow that’s horrible!! I’m sorry 😭❤️ and I’m not 100% sure but I’m sure others will have ideas. But basically you would pick the best ones out of what you have and work from there. But how to tell the best, I’m not sure. Are you planning on breeding them or no?

Also the silkie I got from hoovers is an amazing quality bird for a hatchery bird. (All the others got eaten by rats. First time dealing with that issue tbh) the silkie has perfect toes no deformities, no vulture hocks, his skin is black, he has a wallnut comb, his feathers are okay quality, he is not fully buff but with a few generations that can be fixed for his offspring. He is a good breeder. His tail is a nice triangle. He has a good crest and muffs coming in. So far he is looking really good.

Oh wow that’s horrible!! I’m sorry 😭❤️ and I’m not 100% sure but I’m sure others will have ideas. But basically you would pick the best ones out of what you have and work from there. But how to tell the best, I’m not sure. Are you planning on breeding them or no?
I was going to make crosses with the Polishes for now until I got a good quality male. (Only ordered female polishes but may end up with a male who knows) And I also have some lavender orpingtons with them I am planning on breeding to the SOP. And that is basically what I thought. Pick the ones that are close to the breed standard and then go from there. And it is fine. It unfortunately happens. Maybe they have gotten better quality since I ordered from them last

I actually have heard the opposite from what you said, that hoovers is better than cackle. Although we can all agree breeders are better, how ever I do not have any good ones near me, and I do not want to oder hatching eggs as I have had bad luck with them before. (Plus its so hot they will probably cook!)

Also the silkie I got from hoovers is an amazing quality bird for a hatchery bird. (All the others got eaten by rats. First time dealing with that issue tbh) the silkie has perfect toes no deformities, no vulture hocks, his skin is black, he has a wallnut comb, his feathers are okay quality, he is not fully buff but with a few generations that can be fixed for his offspring. He is a good breeder. His tail is a nice triangle. He has a good crest and muffs coming in. So far he is looking really good.

I was going to make crosses with the Polishes for now until I got a good quality male. (Only ordered female polishes but may end up with a male who knows) And I also have some lavender orpingtons with them I am planning on breeding to the SOP. And that is basically what I thought. Pick the ones that are close to the breed standard and then go from there. And it is fine. It unfortunately happens. Maybe they have gotten better quality since I ordered from them last

I actually have heard the opposite from what you said, that hoovers is better than cackle. Although we can all agree breeders are better, how ever I do not have any good ones near me, and I do not want to oder hatching eggs as I have had bad luck with them before. (Plus its so hot they will probably cook!)
That’s awesome he’s such good quality! That’s interesting you’ve heard the opposite. All I’ve read are horror stories from them hahah so it’s nice to read some non horror stories like yours. And I think that sounds like a good plan!

They have arrived. So far they all look good. All though, one chick from each breed is slightly weeker than the others. One of the orpingtons has their umbilical cord still attached, while not Alarming that chick is also somewhat sluggish, probably due to the shipping.

The one polish chick is not very good at balancing, she keeps tumbling over onto her back (its not every time she walks though, its only happened a few times mosty due to their unstable footing (just hatched a few days ago). So not going to overreact incase it is just from the shipping.the polish also has the biggest crest I have ever seen on a chick! Its bigger than its head. (I have a good feeling about this chick.)

All of the chicks are very active, except that one orpington chick. Even so it makes sense with the umbilical cord still attached.

image.jpg

They like their water tray too.

Back
Top Bottom