Established flock of Chickens with new additions

honeysfarm

Hatching
Feb 21, 2024
IMG_2934.JPG

Hi!

I am somewhat new to chicken farming. I currently have 11 chickens (unsure of breed, see picture). They seem to have a strong pecking order going on already and I am worried about adding to the flock. However, we are extending our coop and run to make more room for separation if needed. I am placing an order for chicks (easter egger, olive egger, blue star, and blue laced wyandotte). My boyfriend is very interested in getting turkeys as well (blue slate and red bourbon).

What is the best way to go about this so my chickens don't bully? Should I consider a rooster...not sure if it would keep the peace? I have so many questions for people! We have thought about getting a rooster because our neighbors dogs randomly run over on our land and have taken our chickens before. We now have an electric fence but still scares me!

When we get the turkeys, are they able to eat the same layer feed? Do I have to separate them for feeding? Do they need a different coop space? HELP :)

Thoughts on guineas?? I heard they were mean... but I don't know!!

Hens can be perfectly happy without a rooster. Guineas will never be freindly but since there calls are ridiculously loud when they sound the alarm they could alert you if there is a predator about. Their call could also possibly scare away dogs

Turkeys would need a much higher protein feed (20-22%). Integrating the new chicks to the older hens you will need to create a separate space for a see but no touch method. There are many good articles here about that method.

Back
Top Bottom