The best option for getting olive eggers?

JulieHei

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
Hello,

I am going to hatch some eggs this spring, and would like to get more olive eggers. I have 3 Silverudds Blue and 5 British/English Araucana. The rooster is a Black Copper Marans. What hatching eggs should I choose to get the darkest olive colour? I am also going to hatch other eggs for other colors, so I want to "choose wisely" to utilize the space in the incubator the best. Also, if some of you have mixed these breeds and have pictures of both the chickens and the eggs they lay I would love to see it :) Thanks!

Hiya hun, As far as I am aware Olive Egger (also known as Kaki and Easter Egger) hens do not produce olive Egger chicks. They, the hen, is a cross between a dark egg layer, ie a maran, and a blue egg layer, ie a cream legbar which produces the green layer. But the green family tree stops there so to speak.
I am lucky in having found a supplier here in France but I believe it is simply a case of scanning the net or BYC to find someone.
I’m sure you will find one though, our Hilda laid well for three years but now is n retirement, bless :love
Hugz

Back
Top Bottom