Expandable/Add-on Coop?

catcrazy37

Songster
6 Years
Jul 4, 2014
Someone on here once mentioned they designed their coop so that they could make it bigger if they needed too (chicken math :D). How would that work? I'm thinking a more hallway-style coop, so you'd add on some length and then just put more roosts, nest boxes, etc. inside. But how to detach the wall and attach a new end to the coop?

Someone on here once mentioned they designed their coop so that they could make it bigger if they needed too (chicken math :D). How would that work? I'm thinking a more hallway-style coop, so you'd add on some length and then just put more roosts, nest boxes, etc. inside. But how to detach the wall and attach a new end to the coop?
I would ask them....or link that thread/post here, I would like to see it.

I think it would have to be constructed and sited carefully, but would probably still take major construction to expand, especially the roofing.

Best bet would be to anticipate chicken math and build a bigger building to begin with.

I would ask them....or link that thread/post here, I would like to see it.

I think it would have to be constructed and sited carefully, but would probably still take major construction to expand, especially the roofing.

Best bet would be to anticipate chicken math and build a bigger building to begin with.
Thanks for the response!
I can't remember the post, unfortunately. Big coop seems to be the best option :).

I don't know your location or situation, but a "pole barn" style construction with a slanted roof is easily expandable. Adding on to a structure with a peaked or Gable end roof is a lot trickier. A slanted roof with corrugated metal roofing is easy to extend. I end up doing it to my workshop area every couple years. And you don't have to detach a whole wall to make an extension. Just cut out a large opening and frame up a "doorway".

Back
Top Bottom