Egg shells or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meggies Eggs

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
IL
Wondering what the general consensus is on feeding eggshells with kitchen scraps. I've heard mixed thoughts on this.

Feeding dried egg shells that are smashed into small pieces helps with calcium. Personally I don't like feeding kitchen scraps because of mold or causing impacted crops but its okay as long as its fresh and not rotten. You can feed smashed egg shell pieces as free choice in a bowl or mix it in their food.

All you will get on this is opinions. We all have our opinions based on our experiences or just what we’ve read. It’s natural they will be all over the board.

I have no problems with cracking the eggs and tossing the shells directly in with the stuff that goes on the compost heap. I do not dry them, cook them, or crumble them. It has not lead to egg eating or any other problems. Most of the time my chickens don’t eat them anyway. They are getting enough calcium from other sources.

I grew up with the same thing. During spring through fall when we butchered the hogs the egg shells were tossed in with other kitchen scraps and fed to the pigs. But after the hogs were butchered until we got new pigs in the spring, the egg shells and other kitchen scraps were tossed where the free ranging chickens could get to them. We never had an egg eater.

Others will have different opinions based on whatever that opinion is based on. Nothing wrong with that. I suggest you do whatever you are comfortable with, dry them, cook them, crumble them or not. Form your own experiences. Then you will be as much of an expert on this topic as anyone else.

Personally I would stay away from feeding egg shells even if you crush them. It is not worth the time and effort crushing them and you still end up with pieces looking like egg shell. Unfortunately this can lead to your birds eating your eggs instead of you. It just is not worth that risk when you can buy crushed oyster shells which has a high concentration of calcium that builds strong eggs shells.

I feed mine some on occasion, just crush them up and toss them into the scrambled eggs, if there are any leftover
wink.png

I had an egg eater in my first flock but it wasn't caused by an egg shell but a whole egg. One of the eggs had dropped and broke while we where gathering them. Of course the hens where on it quick as a blink, I didn't think anything of it. Of course once my RIR knew what was inside there was no stopping her. Ended up with eaten eggs and yoke all over the nest boxes. Lesson learned, if an egg drops in the pen PICK IT UP!

I feed mine some on occasion, just crush them up and toss them into the scrambled eggs, if there are any leftover
wink.png

I had an egg eater in my first flock but it wasn't caused by an egg shell but a whole egg. One of the eggs had dropped and broke while we where gathering them. Of course the hens where on it quick as a blink, I didn't think anything of it. Of course once my RIR knew what was inside there was no stopping her. Ended up with eaten eggs and yoke all over the nest boxes. Lesson learned, if an egg drops in the pen PICK IT UP!

I find it no bother to give my egg shells to the chickens. If I have a compost bowl going, they get tossed in there. If chickens want those, they can help themselves in the compost. If I'm in the mood, I dedicate a bowl to egg shells, and when I am headed to the coop/run, I simply take the bowl along, toss the contents into the run, and do a little stomp dance on the shells. I agree with RR, that chickens on free range are not likely to bother with them. IMO, feeding egg shells is more likely to PREVENT your chickens from becoming egg eaters, b/c those egg shells are providing extra nutrient for the bird's diet. If they are lacking, the shells are more likely to be weak, which leads to accidental breakage. Broken eggs are ALWAYS eaten. It is the way of the chicken!

I do rinse out my egg shells, dry and crush them...I mix in the oyster shell....I never feed my birds table scraps...If I wont eat it, why should they?
I give fresh healthy snacks once or twice a week.....Just what I do....

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom