Urgent advice on chicken feed

Yes, peanuts should be fine. They are a fairly good source of protein, and I think they have the right amino acids to pair well with grains (@U_Stormcrow am I right that peanuts, being a legume, have amino acids that help balance the ones usually present in grains?)

And as @Perris pointed out, any kind of meat/fish/milk/cheese are good protein sources too (yes including dried crickets, but dried bugs are usually overpriced in the USA, and might be in your area. If actual meat or fish is cheaper, it is certainly fine to use.)

Yes, also fine.

Chickens can eat almost everything that people eat. If you offer them everything, and let them pick through to eat what they want, they almost always make safe choices. So I wouldn't stress too much about which things are "safe" for chickens to eat. Nothing is going to kill them with just a bite or two, and they are usually smart enough to make the right decision by that point. Chickens that are used to having food scraps and foraging for part of their own feed are usually very good at this (because they practice all day long!)

The ones in that photo do look like layer-types, so hopefully the ones in question are suitable too.

If it's OK with the owner, there is no real need to be sneaky :confused:

And I would definitely check prices-- you mentioned peanuts being cheap, which is not something I would have thought of (because they aren't really cheap where I live.) Chicken food is cheap where I live, which is why it is my default advice, but it might or might not be cheap where you are. There more expensive the chicken feed is, the more it is worth looking carefully at what else is available.
Where I live, things are often backwards. Not sure if you're familiar with the term '' squatter camps'' but look it up, especially south African squatter camps. That's generally the way a lot of people raise chickens, but not everyone but alot. Hence unconventional foods being somewhat cheaper for the average Joe.' I am fortunate enough to live in a more upscale rural area. Farm, equine estate... Fortunate is an understatement. 'Real Deal' ' types of animal feeds are incredibly highly priced and mostly targeted at large scale farmers. We used to live and work on an ostrich ranch, you will not believe the price of a 50kg bag of feed.

That's why I'm really eager to look at a fresh, non-commercial diet for these chickens. I'll go bankrupt 😂 honestly any tips, tricks and treats will be so helpful. I will, however, invest in a bag of feed. Crickets are even cheaper than peanuts so I'll be grabbing those too as a snack for the ladies and gent.

I've never had the issue but I think what I hear is most of it goes on in the coop when they're standing next to each other and bored. I'd think you'd see some of it too though.

Are you able to catch one of them to look at it closer?
Definitely not. These girls are not afraid to destroy the hand that feeds them (rightly so, crows and Gennets are afoot) I have never heard or seen them fight or peck each other

Definitely not. These girls are not afraid to destroy the hand that feeds them (rightly so, crows and Gennets are afoot) I have never heard or seen them fight or peck each other
Hopefully, though, that's what it is and you just haven't seen it or they keep it to the coop. Then a higher nutritious/protein diet should stop that and help them grow their feathers back. You said it wasn't all of the chickens with bald butts, so it's most likely the ones lower in the pecking order that are getting pecked.

Hopefully, though, that's what it is and you just haven't seen it or they keep it to the coop. Then a higher nutritious/protein diet should stop that and help them grow their feathers back. You said it wasn't all of the chickens with bald butts, so it's most likely the ones lower in the pecking order that are getting pecked.
Poor babies...looking to get my own chickens soon so it's helping tons to learn all these things, particularly diet wise.

@OstrichEmu, you can put your location in your profile, and then it will always be there. People who might just now be joining in the conversation won't know that you're in South Africa, and that information is important.

@OstrichEmu, you can put your location in your profile, and then it will always be there. People who might just now be joining in the conversation won't know that you're in South Africa, and that information is important.
Will they be able to see it when they join the thread? I think my location is already in my profile but I'll check just in case, thanks for the tip

Will they be able to see it when they join the thread? I think my location is already in my profile but I'll check just in case, thanks for the tip
If they read from the beginning, they'll see it. Some threads get long, and people don't read the whole thing.

It's really handy to have the general location. Just the state if you're in the US, and the country if you're not.

Yes, it's there! :thumbsup

If they read from the beginning, they'll see it. Some threads get long, and people don't read the whole thing.

It's really handy to have the general location. Just the state if you're in the US, and the country if you're not.

Yes, it's there! :thumbsup
Awesome!

Yeah.. My country is a little weird with livestock. Alot of it is very rural so you make do with what you have unless you own massive farms with production style farming.

Back
Top Bottom