Supplementing my feed with shells

haemphyst

Hatching
Dec 3, 2023
I use an Amish supplier for my feed, and I've always been very happy with the feed I receive. I've been buying the 16% he offers, but yesterday, the guy in front of me bought all the layer feed he had, and I was stuck with 20% feed. I know it's not... well... right, for layers, they don't need that much protein.

I have about 15 pounds of shells that I've saved, dried, and pulverized; how much do I mix in, or in lieu of mixing in, how much do I put out for them, and if there is a source of calcium for them, will they know of it, and use it, or is the mix-in preferred, to enhance their intake?

Don't mix it in, just put it in a dish somewhere that's easy access for them. If you have never offered eggshell/oyster shell maybe sprinkle a little bit on the ground near the dish to help get them interested in it, but most birds should be able to regulate their calcium needs just fine without help.

Actually, layers  need protein, 20% is great!
Eggs, feathers, flesh, skin, innards etc, are made of protein. Who told you they didn't need much protein?
16% is the bare minimum, that number was the least amount a chicken could both live and produce eggs on, it was the most economical way to feed factory farm hens, who don't live long anyway.
I don't feed less than 18%, and have oyster shell for them since I also have males and non laying girls as they shouldn't have the extra calcium. :]

Actually, layers  need protein, 20% is great!
Eggs, feathers, flesh, skin, innards etc, are made of protein. Who told you they didn't need much protein?
16% is the bare minimum, that number was the least amount a chicken could both live and produce eggs on, it was the most economical way to feed factory farm hens, who don't live long anyway.
I don't feed less than 18%, and have oyster shell for them since I also have males and non laying girls as they shouldn't have the extra calcium. :]
I see the difference having my hens on 22% protein feed vs 16%. Less food hogging and molting is fast process. Makes for calm flock and there needs met.

16% is very little! Bare minimum as somebody said, and not meant for long term health. 20% is ideal for all ages - you can grow chicks on it, you can support layers on it, you can even maintain overall health in non-layers on it. I only feed 20%, year round, to the whole flock, a flock raiser feed that doesn't have pre-added extra calcium. It's best to let them regulate their own calcium intake - they are very good at it. I wouldn't pulverize the shells though. Offer what you have in a separate container, until they finish the pulverized shells, but once you start collecting new shells, don't pulverize them. It's not necessary if you offer them separately, and the chickens much prefer larger pieces to dust. I crush mine only minimally, enough to not take up too much volume. So about thumbnail size.

Back
Top Bottom