Why won't my girls sit?

Tammy14443

Hatching
Feb 20, 2016
OK my girls are about 6 months old. There are 8 of them and I am getting an average of 5 eggs a day. But no buddy is sitting on the eggs. Are they just a little young for that? I may want to have little ones next year. So any Ideas?

welcome-byc.gif

You're wondering why they aren't broody? For one thing, they are a bit young. Also, it's the wrong time of year. I know some of the crazy-broody hens will attempt all year long, but for the most part, they don't. Call it instinct, hormones affected by lack of light, what have you, most chickens don't have the desire to set on eggs in the fall and winter. The breed of your chickens may also play a factor. Some breeds have more of a tendency toward broodiness than others.

If you really want babies next year, if you're looking to hatch at a certain time, you might want to consider buying an incubator. Chickens don't go broody on command. I had one hen that I could count on to want to set the last week of April - she did it 3 years in a row (then she got eaten by a raccoon). I have one now that goes broody in June and late August. I also know that about the time I count on this, she'll change the game and either go broody at another time, or stop altogether. You just can't depend on them! :) Another thing to think about is getting them from the feed store. At least that way it's a pretty good chance you'll get the gender you want. Unless you have a plan for the little cockerels you're going to hatch out? That's something to keep in mind long before you start hatching chicks - what you're going to do with the extra males.

Last edited:
You may have to purchase an incubator if you want to hatch out some chicks. Some breeds just aren't broody and just lay and get! I only have one or two hens in my flock of 20+ that tend to get broody.

Broodiness depends on a number of factors including....

Breed.... many breeds of chicken have been selectively bred for increased egg production to the detriment of any broody instinct
Time of year... most hens prefer to rear chicks in the spring and summer rather than autumn/winter
Age.... Yes your girls are on the young side to become broody even if they are a broody breed like a silkie or cochin. It is not totally unheard of for 6mth old birds to go broody, but not the norm.
Stress levels.... birds that are not happy and relaxed in their environment are less likely to go broody.

There are probably other factors that are not popping into my head right at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom