Question for Easter Egger Owners

Mine have always laid more consistently than my other birds but I don't track numbers so I can't provide numerical evidence. The caveat is I deliberately pick breeds that aren't too productive, so it kind of shifts the goal posts a bit - easier to win the race if everyone you're racing against is slow.

My 2 Egger pullets are the most productive layers I have (flock of 8 pullets) except for my Whitings True Blue, who just edges them out of 1st place. They will achieve "full hendom" in April (1 year old).

I usually find both green eggs in the nest boxes daily but some days they alternate: Edna's egg is shiny satin green, Elsie's more olive, matte finish with some speckles. I'd guess we're usually at 5 eggs each/week. We'll see how their production goes as they mature & have their first molt, but winter hasn't slowed them down much so far.

(I don't keep a tally of eggs per girl, either, just notes in my daily chicken journal; I can't always ID which of the brown egg girls laid which eggs, but my Rainbow Girls, it's obvious. ❤️ )

They are also excellent & dedicated foragers, and can fly over a 7-foot fence like it was nothing. (Hawk net needed over the run to keep aerial predators out and these girls and the WTB in the run; the other girls are heavier breeds - RIR, Buff Orp, Delaware, Australorp, Barred Rock.)

Much as I'd love to indulge in chicken math this coming spring, this crew of girls has inundated us with eggs -- supplying 2 households and lots & lots water-glassed & frozen.

Love my Eggers and will definitely want to have some always!

My 2 Egger pullets are the most productive layers I have (flock of 8 pullets) except for my Whitings True Blue, who just edges them out of 1st place. They will achieve "full hendom" in April (1 year old).

I usually find both green eggs in the nest boxes daily but some days they alternate: Edna's egg is shiny satin green, Elsie's more olive, matte finish with some speckles. I'd guess we're usually at 5 eggs each/week. We'll see how their production goes as they mature & have their first molt, but winter hasn't slowed them down much so far.

(I don't keep a tally of eggs per girl, either, just notes in my daily chicken journal; I can't always ID which of the brown egg girls laid which eggs, but my Rainbow Girls, it's obvious. ❤️ )

They are also excellent & dedicated foragers, and can fly over a 7-foot fence like it was nothing. (Hawk net needed over the run to keep aerial predators out and these girls and the WTB in the run; the other girls are heavier breeds - RIR, Buff Orp, Delaware, Australorp, Barred Rock.)

Much as I'd love to indulge in chicken math this coming spring, this crew of girls has inundated us with eggs -- supplying 2 households and lots & lots water-glassed & frozen.

Love my Eggers and will definitely want to have some always!
I love hearing all of that. If I can move to a rural area and build a larger coop (trying to get in position to do so), the Whiting true Blue is on my short list for additions.

If I can get 4-5 eggs a week from each of the three girls, I will be very happy.

I love my EE's dispositions. Only one will really let me scratch on her, but the other two are trying. They want to be, then scurry away at last second.

I love my EE's dispositions. Only one will really let me scratch on her, but the other two are trying. They want to be, then scurry away at last second.
Interesting - I raised my EEs from 2-day-old chicks and they were so cuddly when they were little, climbing all over my lap, demanding my attention and petting, and burrowing into the folds of my sweatshirt to sleep. But as they got older and especially after their first visits outdoors when the weather warmed enough, they became very independent and didn't want to be held or even touched anymore.

They're still curious and friendly, eagerly take treats from my hands and want to get up close to "supervise" my work in the chicken yard & coop, as long as I don't try to touch them. But of course, many other EE owners talk about how much their girls like petting & holding, so it's not all one way or the other.

The other weird thing is, ever since their hormones hit, they didn't squat for me but do squat for the WTB pullet, who mounts them like a rooster (!); and they all sleep together on their favored perch in the coop. :confused:The 3 of them are at the bottom of the flock hierarchy, Martha the WTB then (apparently equal basis) Edna and Elsie the EEs. (All the other pullets are ~7-8 weeks older than the EEs.)

It is important to remember, though, that Easter Eggers are not a breed.

The reason this is important is because there are hundreds of ways to create an Easter Egger. So comparing your EE's to random other EE's is not going to garner useful information.
Very much worth repeating. Even hens of the same breed can vary a lot by individual but when you have something as diverse as an EE there are no standards. You can get anything.

If you know the average production of the flock they can from you can get a valid guess as to how they might perform but even then it's only an estimate. Individuals can vary a lot.

My girls are 6 years old now and still going. I started with 15 hens and now have 11.

Year one, the average during the warm months was 14 eggs a day and 8 eggs during the cold months.
Year two, the average during the warm months was 13 eggs a day and 6 eggs during the cold months.
Year three, the average during the warm months was 11 eggs a day and 4 eggs during the cold months.
Year four, the average during the warm months was 9 eggs a day and 0-2 eggs during the cold months.
Year five, the average during the warm months was 7 eggs a day and 0-2 eggs during the cold months.
Year six, the average during the warm months was 6 eggs a day and 0-2 eggs during the cold months.

My girls are 6 years old now and still going. I started with 15 hens and now have 11.

Year one, the average during the warm months was 14 eggs a day and 8 eggs during the cold months.
Year two, the average during the warm months was 13 eggs a day and 6 eggs during the cold months.
Year three, the average during the warm months was 11 eggs a day and 4 eggs during the cold months.
Year four, the average during the warm months was 9 eggs a day and 0-2 eggs during the cold months.
Year five, the average during the warm months was 7 eggs a day and 0-2 eggs during the cold months.
Year six, the average during the warm months was 6 eggs a day and 0-2 eggs during the cold months.
That is quite a haul on eggs. That is also better longevity than I would have thought.

May I ask where you got your chicks?

Interesting - I raised my EEs from 2-day-old chicks and they were so cuddly when they were little, climbing all over my lap, demanding my attention and petting, and burrowing into the folds of my sweatshirt to sleep. But as they got older and especially after their first visits outdoors when the weather warmed enough, they became very independent and didn't want to be held or even touched anymore.

They're still curious and friendly, eagerly take treats from my hands and want to get up close to "supervise" my work in the chicken yard & coop, as long as I don't try to touch them. But of course, many other EE owners talk about how much their girls like petting & holding, so it's not all one way or the other.

The other weird thing is, ever since their hormones hit, they didn't squat for me but do squat for the WTB pullet, who mounts them like a rooster (!); and they all sleep together on their favored perch in the coop. :confused:The 3 of them are at the bottom of the flock hierarchy, Martha the WTB then (apparently equal basis) Edna and Elsie the EEs. (All the other pullets are ~7-8 weeks older than the EEs.)
One of my girls, Violet, was always in my lap when she was little. Wanted to be petted and loved on every time I sat with them. Now that she is older, she is one of the ones that runs away when my hand gets within about an inch of scratching her. But their dispositions are beautiful. Mine love supervising, also.

That can be the norm at some seasons, but there will be other times when they do not lay at all (like when they molt in the fall.)

The logical way to figure eggs per week is by counting the total eggs in the year, and dividing by how many weeks are in a year. But in reality, the eggs will not be evenly distributed during the year, so there will be weeks with more and weeks with less or none.
I appreciate this information.

We're expecting our 1st Easter Egger in a couple of weeks, We have a Dominque, Barnevelder and Novogen and will be getting another Dominque & Novagen along with a Wellsummer. I don't mind that the EE will "hit and miss" because I realized I'd be getting 49 eggs a week (WHAT in the wide world of sports was I THINKING????)

Back
Top Bottom