Cold weather

Do chickens need more food in cold weather?

Not necessarily. Generally they just need more fat in the winter, this sometimes accomplished by the chickens eating more feed.
Other times it is accomplished by the additive of various treats. My chickens don't eat a much more in cold weather until there is no longer any natural forage for them to eat. I like to give them meat scraps in the winter to up the fat levels.

My girls eat more feed when it's cold even with less daylight. They spend about twice as long at the feeder when I turn on the light at 5am. They are gobbling it down like they haven't eaten in days. I estimate they eat about 50 percent more on a cold day to maintain body temperature. I had to fill my feeder a day early, would have been empty tomorrow. Usually would be 1/3 full tomorrow in warm weather.GC

My feed consumption doubles in winter, mostly due to them not being able to free range and find some of their own food.

Yeah I bet it could double, this will be my first winter with chickens in 35 years, when my mom had chickens and ducks. I didn't keep track of feed back then as a kid. Mom bought the feed. But that's OK my chickens pay for the feed, so eat up girls. GC

Back
Top Bottom