Molting, Bare Skin, and Below Zero Weather in the Next Few Days

JoannePeterson

Chirping
Oct 3, 2023
Sheboygan, WI
I am wondering what is the best way to care for my chickens with the upcoming weather. I have 8 Plymouth Barred Rock Hens. I've winterized the run and the coop, I have some ventilation in the coop, deep litter method, keep the water and feed outside with a run that we staples heavy gauge plastic sheeting. But all of my chickens are molting late with bare skin yet, and still into January. My coop is about 48 square feet. We are going to be having weather down to 11 degrees at night, and the next day down to -2 degrees, with a high of 16. And a long streak of normal very cold weather in the single digits and into the negative digits. We've been having prior to this upcoming streak, highs in the 30's - 40's and lows in the 20's-30's. This very much colder is coming on almost overnight. How do I protect the birds bare skin in the colder weather of negative and single digits?

I am wondering what is the best way to care for my chickens with the upcoming weather. I have 8 Plymouth Barred Rock Hens. I've winterized the run and the coop, I have some ventilation in the coop, deep litter method, keep the water and feed outside with a run that we staples heavy gauge plastic sheeting. But all of my chickens are molting late with bare skin yet, and still into January. My coop is about 48 square feet. We are going to be having weather down to 11 degrees at night, and the next day down to -2 degrees, with a high of 16. And a long streak of normal very cold weather in the single digits and into the negative digits. We've been having prior to this upcoming streak, highs in the 30's - 40's and lows in the 20's-30's. This very much colder is coming on almost overnight. How do I protect the birds bare skin in the colder weather of negative and single digits?
I assume you are talking Fahrenheit not Celsius?
I am not an expert and I probably over worry but in the past I have brought mine in to the garage overnight when it got down to close to 0F.
I have electricity in my coop so now I provide a flat panel heater they can snuggle up to if they choose. Mostly they don’t choose to.
During the day I am less worried and give them hot mash (made from their regular pellets with hot water not milk) if they look chilly.
It would help to know where you are located and what breeds of chicken and how many chickens you have. I have heard silkies for example are less cold tolerant.

I assume you are talking Fahrenheit not Celsius?
I am not an expert and I probably over worry but in the past I have brought mine in to the garage overnight when it got down to close to 0F.
I have electricity in my coop so now I provide a flat panel heater they can snuggle up to if they choose. Mostly they don’t choose to.
During the day I am less worried and give them hot mash (made from their regular pellets with hot water not milk) if they look chilly.
It would help to know where you are located and what breeds of chicken and how many chickens you have. I have heard silkies for example are less cold tolerant.
I'm from Southeast Wisconsin, about a half mile from Lake Michigan, and the winds can get to 40-50 miles per hour fairly frequently being this close to the lake. I'm talking Fahrenheit, and i have 8 Plymouth Barred Rocks who are 18 months old. Thank you for pointing out that I need to get specific asking my questions, I do appreciate it, and I'll remember to do that in the future. Why I'm concerned is because my girls have large patches of bare spots on their bodies. Thank you for suggesting a panel heater, and hot mash.

I've prepared my coop for the upcoming cold in a similar manner. Barred rocks are pretty hardy and will be ok to leave them out if it's even just around or just below freezing as they have protection from wind and wet. However if they still have a lot of exposed skin, then if it were me, with negative temps F., I might consider bringing them into a slightly warmer area or providing a minimal amount of heat for them till the weather improves or the feathers come in more. Just don't overdo it with the heating cause they still have to live in the cold after the feathers come in and should be acclimatized to it. Also increasing the protein for them while they're regrowing the feathers can help them come in quicker. I use an all flock mix that has around 20% protein while molting to help them along. I've got one that did a late molt but thankfully she's got enough regrowth that I'm not too worried about her.

I've prepared my coop for the upcoming cold in a similar manner. Barred rocks are pretty hardy and will be ok to leave them out if it's even just around or just below freezing as they have protection from wind and wet. However if they still have a lot of exposed skin, then if it were me, with negative temps F., I might consider bringing them into a slightly warmer area or providing a minimal amount of heat for them till the weather improves or the feathers come in more. Just don't overdo it with the heating cause they still have to live in the cold after the feathers come in and should be acclimatized to it. Also increasing the protein for them while they're regrowing the feathers can help them come in quicker. I use an all flock mix that has around 20% protein while molting to help them along. I've got one that did a late molt but thankfully she's got enough regrowth that I'm not too worried about her.
Thank you, I'll increase the protein, with sunflower seeds and BSF larvae. Our garage is unattached and unheated, so it's really cold. I'll increase with a minimal amount of heat.

Thank you, I'll increase the protein, with sunflower seeds and BSF larvae. Our garage is unattached and unheated, so it's really cold. I'll increase with a minimal amount of heat.
I didn't see an all flock feed when I went on Monday to purchase more feed. And I discovered our grower feed is only 18% when I looked on Monday.

Sunflower seeds and larvae actually have more fat then protein, I'd recommend a grower feed instead of extra treats

Back
Top Bottom