Hen attacked by dog

tlmancuso

Chirping
Jun 30, 2016
My favorite hen got into the neighbors yard yesterday and their dog attacked her. She has 3 long wounds on her back that didn't bleed, but are deep. I cleaned them out with iodine and have her separated from the flock. My questions are do I need to clean the wounds out daily? Should I be applying anything else? How do I get her to start eating/drinking? I have seen hens recover from worse, but am still concerned. I also need to triple check for any other wounds, but she seems so painful I don't want to move her.

Yes, flush them out with saline and apply veterycin or something like neosprin to the wounds. Keep them covered. Make sure that the abdominal air sacs haven't been punctured, or she won't be able to breath.

My girl also got attacked a few months ago by a possum. She had a deep puncture wound and her butt end had deep bites out of her. We soaked her in warm water and dawn. Then applied hydrogen peroxide and packed her wounds with neosporin. I only washed/soaked 2xs and put neosporin on 2xs a day for a week. I kept her in a dog cage to limit mobility. Much to my amazement she healed fabulously. Ut took a few days for her to want to eat but she drank a ton of water. If you would have asked me when I found her Ibnever thought she woukd have survived. They are resilient little things. I wish you luck. Let us know?

It's been 48 hours and she's still with us. She ate some cheese for me last night. She has an injured foot/leg but I'm getting her out enough to make sure she streatches it, but not too much to stress her out. She was talking a little to me last night as well. I don't think she's drinking. Do I need to force feed her water? Her wounds look like they are healing. Could I flush them with Epsom salt water mixture? I'll put neosporin on them as well. Thank you. She's a wonderful spunky hen. I'm hoping she pulls through.

Some told me that after a day or so if they look like they are healing dont flush anymore just keep up with the neospori. And I did and she did great. I wouldnt force anything yet. It is traumatized as it is. Maybe if she starts acting lethargic and such. They are unbelievable things that bounce back. Mine ate blueberries while in the Intesive Chicken Care unit of my garage. It was her fav and she deserved it. I would just keep up what you are doing seems to work just keep water in there and feed her her favori stuff! Awesome job so far!

Will do! She has that surely look in her eyes and attacked our kitten when he got close to her so she still has a lot of fight left. I'll keep her progress posted :)

I wanted to give an update on my hen. She's doing great and back with the flock! Her leg shows no sign of being lame and her feathers are growing back well. She started to improve quickly when I started letting her have some supervised time outside. By the 3rd day she was back with everyone else and sleeping in the coop. Chickens are amazing!

Awesome!!!!! They are crazy resilient! So happy for you and the hen
1f606.png

Back
Top Bottom