Cocci treatment.. Need advice please

Roseyroberts

Songster
7 Years
Apr 28, 2013
East Texas
I have one pullet that is lathargic and has some blood in her poop. I went to Tsc to find Corid and they had nothing. I don't know what I am doing.
What I have on hand is :
Terra vet 200- oxytetracycline
Terr vet 10- tetracycline
Neovet- Neomycin sulfate

Will any of these help? Is Corid an antiobotic?
A local feedstock owner gave me the neovet and said it would. Should I just order Corid?

Those won't help and could make matters worse. Coccidia is a protozoa - not a bacteria.
Call around to see if you can find corid, other brand of amprolium or a sulfa drug anywhere.
Could you get some medicated feed? It contains amprolium.

Corid (amprolium) is a thiamine blocker that resembles the B vitamin to the coccidia thereby starving it.

Last edited:
I have one pullet that is lathargic and has some blood in her poop. I went to Tsc to find Corid and they had nothing. I don't know what I am doing.
What I have on hand is :
Terra vet 200- oxytetracycline
Terr vet 10- tetracycline
Neovet- Neomycin sulfate

Will any of these help? Is Corid an antiobotic?
A local feedstock owner gave me the neovet and said it would. Should I just order Corid?
Are you sure they don't have Corid? It's usually in the cattle section. If they don't have Corid, ask if they have AmproMed of a sulfa drug.

Corid dose is 5 days at the severe amount, then 7-14 at the lesser amount.

• Powder is 1.5 teaspoons for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days
  • Liquid is 2 teaspoons for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days

That is what the mfg and the FDA recommend.

-Kathy

Those won't help and could make matters worse. Coccidia is a protozoa - not a bacteria.
Call around to see if you can find corid, other brand of amprolium or a sulfa drug anywhere.
Could you get some medicated feed? It contains amprolium.

Corid (amprolium) is a thiamine blocker that resembles the B vitamin to the coccidia thereby starving it.
X2! Anything that has amrpolium (Corid, AmproMed, Amprol, etc), or any type of sulfa (SulfMed G, Sulmet, Di-Methox, Albon, etc) is what I would try. Call TSC back and ask them to check stock. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/Corid

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom