HELP! Need 2017 Peafowl hatching eggs.

sseabass

Songster
6 Years
Jun 28, 2016
Fishtail, Montana
Hello Peafowl Farmers.
I hatched my first peachicks last year and it was a wonderful adventure of learning, anxiety, joy and then loss. Between feral cats and bad luck I ended up losing all surviving chicks.
I found BYC late in the incubating process and was exstatic. Help was available :weee
I live in Montana and don't know of anyone here who raises Peafowl. So, I am back to trying to find breeders who will ship eggs. I bought my eggs last year on EBay. I feel that I bought from more decent sellers than not. My biggest problem was the steep learning curve of raising the babies.
Since finding BYC I decided here would be the place to buy eggs. However, I am finding it difficult to find breeders who are comfortable shipping eggs.
I am looking for Whites in particular but would also be interested in other colors.
Oh, forgot to mention. I have a mature Blue Peacock who is beautiful. He was given to me. I am semi-retired now and thought he would enjoy having a friend. He seems to be happy here on our ranch, free roaming, with the other critters (Emu, goose, duck, turkey, chicken and a pig) I raise sheep, so there are hundreds of those in corrals during lambing, 2 big guard dogs, 2 herding dogs and some tame cats.
All my fowl are free range, fed and have shelter. Mr. Peacock really needs a friend and I love raising peachicks from eggs. I am hopeful that I have learned from my losses and will be a much better steward this year.
So, if you are interested in selling and shipping some Peachick eggs, let me know.
Thanks,
Carol

When the 2017 laying season approaches use e-bay or craigslist and look for eggs that are no longer than 2 days shipping away from you. I know some breeders on ebay lives in the Dakota's. Many in Iowa.Some in Colorado too. expect possibly a 25% hatchrate on shipped eggs and thats if things during shipping do not turn their shipping box into a football. You can use www.zoomthelist to search all or individual states on Craigslist.

I would suggest purchasing juveniles over eggs. Eggs do not handle being shipped very well and if your package gets x-rayed the eggs won't develop. It's always a gamble as frenchbackcopper stated you might get a 25% success rate assuming everything else goes right which can mean alot of wasted money and frustration. I'd contact a reliable breeder who ships and purchase some birds over 3 months to avoid the mortality curve associated with eggs and chicks.

I agree with Midnightman, mortality rate on shipped eggs is absurdly high. Keep an eye out for poultry swaps and livestock auctions during the spring and summer. I went to one in Maryland in June and bought 3 peachicks, there must have been at least 50 peachicks there.
They run about $35 to $60 each (depending on color and pattern) so not that much more pricey than the eggs themselves.

If you want peachicks I can help you out. I don't have any right now, but I will in 2017. I will have Indian Blue peachicks and hopefully White peachicks.

Back
Top Bottom