Getting peafowl friends for feral peacock?

leahsaurus

Songster
6 Years
Jan 17, 2018
Puget Sound
Hello everyone!

I moved to a rural area in Washington state a year ago and discovered that my house came with a feral peacock! He wanders the neighborhood but spends many nights sleeping in the tall pines around my house. I’m experienced with chickens but was new to peacocks. I’ve learned from the previous homeowner that he’s been around for years and there used to be more, and he’s the only one left. He spent the mating season dancing for my chickens but the feeling was not reciprocated.

I would like to adopt some adult peafowl, keep them penned in my yard for a few weeks while they learn to identify my backyard as home base, and then allow them to free range and join our peacock, while hopefully also encouraging him to stay near us. I have heard that it's possible to integrate two male peacocks after the breeding season is over. But I am only interested in doing this if it is something that would be positive for all of the peafowl involved! Is this a crazy idea? Someone in my area is looking to rehome a male and female pair and I would love to try it but don’t want to set myself up for failure.

Attachments

• IMG_5944.jpeg
    IMG_5944.jpeg
    496.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5923.jpeg
    IMG_5923.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5907.jpeg
    IMG_5907.jpeg
    924.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5892.jpeg
    IMG_5892.jpeg