Fermented Feed Not Bubbling?

hawkeyext

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2016
New York
Hello,

I have been reading about fermented feed and recently tried one of the simplest ways to do it. We added 6lbs of feed to a bucket, filled it with water (leaving room for it to expand) and was told to let it sit for 3-4 days. We've been stirring it twice a day.

The feed has not bubbled like I read it should. It does smell as it should though. We tried this with Blue Seal Organic Life Layer Pellets. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sounds good so far...just 2 questions...

1. Did you use chlorinated water? If so, that could have slowed down growth or killed any microbes in your inoculant.

2. Did you use an inoculant? It's not entirely necessary, but it helps speed up the whole process. Some start with ACV (must have the "mother" intact) or a store bought lactobacillus inoculant.

Oh, 3 questions I guess... What is the temperature where its being stored? 65-75 is optimal, below 40 is too cold, slows down growth as well.

If you haven't sifted through it already, this is a great thread to learn more on ;)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

Last edited:
Sounds good so far...just 2 questions...

1. Did you use chlorinated water? If so, that could have slowed down growth or killed any microbes in your inoculant.

2. Did you use an inoculant? It's not entirely necessary, but it helps speed up the whole process. Some start with ACV (must have the "mother" intact) or a store bought lactobacillus inoculant.

Oh, 3 questions I guess... What is the temperature where its being stored? 65-75 is optimal, below 40 is too cold, slows down growth as well.

If you haven't sifted through it already, this is a great thread to learn more on
wink.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

Hi Shortgrass,

We used well water. I did not use anything else as I've read ACV wasn't necessary. I have no problem getting some, I'm just trying to keep the process as simple, low cost, and organic as possible. (We plan to become organic-certified.) The temperature has been between 50-70, mostly staying around 60.

Thanks!

The temp may be your issue then. Have you noticed the white scoby threads on the top at all? Mine is in a basement room, probably 60-65 temp and going ok. I just figure an extra day or so. Right after I stir, I do notice the bubbles then, but don't see them otherwise right now.

Whether or not you see bubbles in your ferment depends on how much free water is sitting on top.

I mix my FF very dry, no loose water at all, so I don't ever see it bubble. You will know if your feed is fermenting by the increasing "sour dough" odor.

I've found that stirring it more frequently than just twice a day will encourage more oxygen throughout the mix and that encourages happier yeasts and swifter fermenting.

Mine doesn't really "bubble" either. I also mix mine a bit on the dry side, but I did bring some indoors last winter and noticed bubbles in that one. There was a 20 degree difference between outside and the house, though. It just grows better at higher temps, but as long as you can smell it fermenting, it doesn't necessarily have to be bubbling like crazy :)

And an inoculant is not necessary unless you're in a big hurry this get it started. Like me, I mix up 2 5 gallon buckets and rotate between the two, and every once in a while, I forget to refill one bucket and I only have a days worth of feed left, I'll either scoop some out of one to start a new bucket with, or I might use a Bacillus blend that I bought for just in case, depends on my mood :D I've even used leftover vinegar from fermenting my own food so I save a buck. But totally not required.

I use grains though. I don't know what kind of results I would get from pelletized feed; I'm assuming the same rules apply, but maybe pelleted feed takes a bit to get started...I don't see why it would make much difference though, just threw that thought out there.

The temp may be your issue then. Have you noticed the white scoby threads on the top at all? Mine is in a basement room, probably 60-65 temp and going ok. I just figure an extra day or so. Right after I stir, I do notice the bubbles then, but don't see them otherwise right now.

No, we have not noticed anything white at the top. There does seem to be some water towards the bottom when we stir, but nothing bubbling up.

Whether or not you see bubbles in your ferment depends on how much free water is sitting on top.

I mix my FF very dry, no loose water at all, so I don't ever see it bubble. You will know if your feed is fermenting by the increasing "sour dough" odor.

I've found that stirring it more frequently than just twice a day will encourage more oxygen throughout the mix and that encourages happier yeasts and swifter fermenting.

Thanks. We'll try less water and stirring more.

Mine doesn't really "bubble" either. I also mix mine a bit on the dry side, but I did bring some indoors last winter and noticed bubbles in that one. There was a 20 degree difference between outside and the house, though. It just grows better at higher temps, but as long as you can smell it fermenting, it doesn't necessarily have to be bubbling like crazy
smile.png

And an inoculant is not necessary unless you're in a big hurry this get it started. Like me, I mix up 2 5 gallon buckets and rotate between the two, and every once in a while, I forget to refill one bucket and I only have a days worth of feed left, I'll either scoop some out of one to start a new bucket with, or I might use a Bacillus blend that I bought for just in case, depends on my mood
big_smile.png
I've even used leftover vinegar from fermenting my own food so I save a buck. But totally not required.

I use grains though. I don't know what kind of results I would get from pelletized feed; I'm assuming the same rules apply, but maybe pelleted feed takes a bit to get started...I don't see why it would make much difference though, just threw that thought out there.

Interesting, thanks shortgrass! Maybe I'll try somewhere 5-10 degrees warmer.

Back
Top Bottom