Black Turken and Barred mix Roo... their teeny tiny offspring

Deltabwa

Songster
5 Years
Oct 30, 2016
Southeast Montana
I had 2 girls and a roo. My Red Sex Link laid her first egg at 14w 1 day. I was SHOCKED! I decided to try and incubate her eggs. I tried probably 18 eggs total before quitting. Never had a single one do anything. I thought the roo was sterile. Then, my Naked Neck laid hers at 16 weeks flat. So i took her 2nd egg and put t in with the others, just for giggles, cuz this egg was tiny tiny. I mostly ignored it. I had to go out of state for a wedding, was gone for 9 days, the night I came back I went thru the eggs in the incubator, 5 in total and trashed every one of the senk link eggs. Picked up that teeny tiny egg and it was all black. I then realized that time was up! So i adjusted the incubator and about an hr later I put in a new therm cuz i didn't think it was showing the humidity right. When I did, I noticed a crack in the egg. Looked later and saw the crack was bigger! I can not tell you how shocked I was! Went to bed, the next morning I go to check on it, expecting to find it either dead or still trying to hatch and instead I find this!!!

She was so small I couldn't even lift a wing.

This is her egg, the egg from the sex link in the middle, and a store bought on the right. So stinkin' small!

standing next to a dropper

I had really hoped she kept the black and white....

Because of her, I now had to get more chicks to keep her company lol 18 sounded like a good number lol Now, she is bigger than some of the ones I got with her. She lost the white, just a small small amount on her neck hair, her mother has red and black on the neck hair.

Here is her ma and pa, and her now, at 11 weeks

Can you see that little red spot on her chest, at the quill, its blood. Is that normal? She gets that every once in awhile and I don't know if it's normal and I just don't see it normally because the rest of the chickens have feathers or not. I never saw it on her ma. She has a lot of quills but no feathers. Both on her neck and chest area. Not sure if you can see them all in the pic. Is that normal?

Photo bomb! lol

Last edited:
Awwwww, how cute! Congrats on her hatch!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom