Big Chongus: the biggest green egg I've ever seen has hatched

Madriverbantams

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2023
A few weeks ago, the kind woman I bought my incubator from offered me 12 free eggs to start my hatching journey. Peering into the basket, I saw many shades of green and dark brown eggs. One by one I sorted through which eggs I wanted until my hand paused on the largest green egg that I have ever seen. This thing was BIG. It was ROUND. Creamy green with a few speckles. I had to have it. It seemed like a double yolker, but I thought I would try and hatch it just for fun. Doubted it would hatch.

It barely fit in the sections of my incubator. The shell is too dark to candle. Day 21 and chicks start hatching. To my shock I returned home from a walk to see a huge fluffy chick staring at me with what I can only describe as confidence. Big Chongus. The other scraggly and half wet chicks who hatched BEFORE Chongus still struggled to find their feet while Chongus strode confidently around the incubator, fluffed up. I was delighted.

I'm assuming she is from an Easter Egger due to light green egg color. Her father is either a Mosaic or a Naked Neck / Turken since those were the only roos in the pen. I think not all naked neck mixes get the gene for bare necks.

Chongus is so friendly and loves to watch me- she looks and acts like a 4 or 5 day old chick despite being 24 hrs old at this point. Fingers crossed that she is actually a she and not a roo since I'm hoping for egg layers.
PXL_20230216_234509255~2.jpg

I was planning on giving her away but no way, I'm too attached. Should I keep Chongus as a name or give a more majestic one?

PXL_20230122_010309302~2.jpg

The eggs. The lighting is a bit funny, it was greener in person.

Screenshot_20230216-160927.png

Chongus next to a Naked Neck Marans.

Screenshot_20230216-160752.png

The others are Easter Egger Mosaic mixes, Naked Neck Marans, and a Naked Neck Olive Egger.

PXL_20230216_235726102~2.jpg

Is your vote a mosaic father or a recessive naked neck father?

A few weeks ago, the kind woman I bought my incubator from offered me 12 free eggs to start my hatching journey. Peering into the basket, I saw many shades of green and dark brown eggs. One by one I sorted through which eggs I wanted until my hand paused on the largest green egg that I have ever seen. This thing was BIG. It was ROUND. Creamy green with a few speckles. I had to have it. It seemed like a double yolker, but I thought I would try and hatch it just for fun. Doubted it would hatch.

It barely fit in the sections of my incubator. The shell is too dark to candle. Day 21 and chicks start hatching. To my shock I returned home from a walk to see a huge fluffy chick staring at me with what I can only describe as confidence. Big Chongus. The other scraggly and half wet chicks who hatched BEFORE Chongus still struggled to find their feet while Chongus strode confidently around the incubator, fluffed up. I was delighted.

I'm assuming she is from an Easter Egger due to light green egg color. Her father is either a Mosaic or a Naked Neck / Turken since those were the only roos in the pen. I think not all naked neck mixes get the gene for bare necks.

Chongus is so friendly and loves to watch me- she looks and acts like a 4 or 5 day old chick despite being 24 hrs old at this point. Fingers crossed that she is actually a she and not a roo since I'm hoping for egg layers.
View attachment 3407531
I was planning on giving her away but no way, I'm too attached. Should I keep Chongus as a name or give a more majestic one?

View attachment 3407527
The eggs. The lighting is a bit funny, it was greener in person.

View attachment 3407528
Chongus next to a Naked Neck Marans.

View attachment 3407529
The others are Easter Egger Mosaic mixes, Naked Neck Marans, and a Naked Neck Olive Egger.

View attachment 3407530

Is your vote a mosaic father or a recessive naked neck father?
How about Colossal Calista? Calista is Greek for "most beautiful" and Colossal, well speaks for itself. :love

Back
Top Bottom