Transylvanian Pterosaurs - The Naked Neck Chronicles

Chicalina

Crowing
Aug 1, 2020
UK
Hello happy chickeny folks from around the world!

I have started this thread to chronicle the journey of some Naked Neck chickens I am going to hatch.

I have never had this breed before, so this is a bit of an experiment. I've raised probably 20 or so other breeds before and have been a keen chickener for about 17 years, so I hope I know what I'm doing, but every day is a learning opportunity and I love experiencing new breeds.

I am based in the UK and only have a smallish garden area but my birds usually free range (unless in birdflu flockdown restrictions) and there is enough space for everyone.

I have a small shed type coop, with a covered run one side and an open netted run under trees on the other. In the covered run there is a double decker rabbit hutch that serves as an isolation unit when needed, but is mostly used as brooding boxes and where the chicks spend their first week or so.

I don't have an incubator, but I keep bantams and they often go broody so I sometimes take the opportunity to hatch babies when they do.

I wasn't going to hatch this year, having had the noise and hassle of rehoming unwanted cockerels for the past 3 years, I thought I'd give my neighbours a break! Also my flock had stabilised with 8 hens and my old cock had died, so they were all happy and settled in a stable sisterhood.

Then disaster struck and a predator got 4 of my hens. That was half the flock. The 4 remaining hens seemed very lost, even after a couple of weeks time to get over missing their sisters. By heck they really mourned them the first week. Pacing around, calling for them constantly, being really unsettled and nervous. It felt like being 1 of 4 just wasn't enough of a "flock" for them.

So I decided to hatch more babies and deal with the inconvenience of cockerels again.

But what breeds to get?

I really wanted more Polish to replace my favourite little ditzy girls who had died, but I couldn't find the colours I wanted at the right time. So I ordered some Wyandottes (for the colours), Black or Lavender Araucanas (for the blue eggs) and English cuckoo Marans (for the dark brown eggs). They are under my Splash Speckled Sussex hen who is just a year old. She has been great at sitting. Out of 12, only 6 have made it so far (infertility, crack, and I dropped one 😕). They were shipped eggs so I expected this. We are currently on Day 19 so I am expecting hatch time any day now. It has been very hot here in the UK the past 3 weeks (relatively for us, up to 32°C). So with the warm weather and them being bantams I usually see babies from Day 18 onwards.

Anyway, this thread is not about this hatch. But these chicks will form part of the overall Transylvanian family. Don't you just love that name! We don't call them Turkens here, I suspect because we know they are not a cross between chickens and turkeys, so the name never stuck! It's a fun idea though 😂.

Out of my 4 remaining hens, 3 are broody. That leaves one poor lonely hen chickening around all day all on her own! But then it won't be for long.

I have bought 12 Naked Neck eggs and had them shipped to me from a British breeder. 11 survived the post. I am also due to receive a further 4 Wyandottes as replacements for the earlier infertile eggs, so these will be put with the Nakeds. I will split them across the remaining 2 broodies, and then assuming only half develop these will be put with the Polish as she is a proven mum and super friendly. The other hen, a Light Sussex, will be kept as a spare just in case, and then I'll break her or she will give up when there are no eggs.

The first hatch (of other breeds) will go back in the main coop after about a week when they outgrow the hutch, and because I find early integration into the flock works best. That being said, the flock is only one Welsummer as the rest are all sitting on eggs!

That will leave the 2 hutches free as broody boxes.

I've posted pics of the eggs. Note the variation of colours, and how pointy they are! I've got black and blue chicks, but no idea if the colour of the bird is at all related to the colour of the egg.

So, please wish me luck, pitch in to this thread with your experience and wisdom (please!) and enjoy all the pics I will be posting!

Attachments

• 20230622_131539.jpg
    20230622_131539.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 20230622_131509.jpg
    20230622_131509.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 18

I have started this thread to chronicle the journey of some Naked Neck chickens I am going to hatch.

I have never had this breed before, so this is a bit of an experiment. I've raised probably 20 or so other breeds before and have been a keen chickener for about 17 years, so I hope I know what I'm doing, but every day is a learning opportunity and I love experiencing new breeds.

I am based in the UK and only have a smallish garden area but my birds usually free range (unless in birdflu flockdown restrictions) and there is enough space for everyone.

I have a small shed type coop, with a covered run one side and an open netted run under trees on the other. In the covered run there is a double decker rabbit hutch that serves as an isolation unit when needed, but is mostly used as brooding boxes and where the chicks spend their first week or so.

I don't have an incubator, but I keep bantams and they often go broody so I sometimes take the opportunity to hatch babies when they do.

I wasn't going to hatch this year, having had the noise and hassle of rehoming unwanted cockerels for the past 3 years, I thought I'd give my neighbours a break! Also my flock had stabilised with 8 hens and my old cock had died, so they were all happy and settled in a stable sisterhood.

Then disaster struck and a predator got 4 of my hens. That was half the flock. The 4 remaining hens seemed very lost, even after a couple of weeks time to get over missing their sisters. By heck they really mourned them the first week. Pacing around, calling for them constantly, being really unsettled and nervous. It felt like being 1 of 4 just wasn't enough of a "flock" for them.

So I decided to hatch more babies and deal with the inconvenience of cockerels again.

But what breeds to get?

I really wanted more Polish to replace my favourite little ditzy girls who had died, but I couldn't find the colours I wanted at the right time. So I ordered some Wyandottes (for the colours), Black or Lavender Araucanas (for the blue eggs) and English cuckoo Marans (for the dark brown eggs). They are under my Splash Speckled Sussex hen who is just a year old. She has been great at sitting. Out of 12, only 6 have made it so far (infertility, crack, and I dropped one 😕). They were shipped eggs so I expected this. We are currently on Day 19 so I am expecting hatch time any day now. It has been very hot here in the UK the past 3 weeks (relatively for us, up to 32°C). So with the warm weather and them being bantams I usually see babies from Day 18 onwards.

Anyway, this thread is not about this hatch. But these chicks will form part of the overall Transylvanian family. Don't you just love that name! We don't call them Turkens here, I suspect because we know they are not a cross between chickens and turkeys, so the name never stuck! It's a fun idea though 😂.

Out of my 4 remaining hens, 3 are broody. That leaves one poor lonely hen chickening around all day all on her own! But then it won't be for long.

I have bought 12 Naked Neck eggs and had them shipped to me from a British breeder. 11 survived the post. I am also due to receive a further 4 Wyandottes as replacements for the earlier infertile eggs, so these will be put with the Nakeds. I will split them across the remaining 2 broodies, and then assuming only half develop these will be put with the Polish as she is a proven mum and super friendly. The other hen, a Light Sussex, will be kept as a spare just in case, and then I'll break her or she will give up when there are no eggs.

The first hatch (of other breeds) will go back in the main coop after about a week when they outgrow the hutch, and because I find early integration into the flock works best. That being said, the flock is only one Welsummer as the rest are all sitting on eggs!

I've posted pics of the eggs. Note the variation of colours, and how pointy they are! I've got black and blue chicks, but no idea if the colour of the bird is at all related to the colour of the egg.

So, please wish me luck, pitch in to this thread with your experience and wisdom (please!) and enjoy all the pics I will be posting!
I might read as you post as long as you don't call Transylvanians Naked Necks or Turkens.:p

Today the sibling group has pipped. I honestly thought I would have a hatch earlier than day 21 given how hot it has been here, and bantams usually hatch a little early. But no, they have been watching the clock and decided to be textbook 21 day chicks!

I should have babies by tomorrow (maybe even tonight), yay!

Today also the replacement Wyandotte eggs arrived in the post, so they need to sit it out for 24 hours. No breakages this time thankfully. They will then join the Transylvanians which have all been sitting out now for 4 days. Means they won't be as fresh when they go under the broody but that's better than having a staggered hatch. And I have to split them across the two hens. The breeder sent me 6 even though I only returned 4, so it's going to be fun trying to get them all under my two bantams. Might put a couple more under the Sussex than the Polish, as she is bigger and can cover more.

So, in summary: 11 Transylvanians and 6 Wyandottes will be set tomorrow. And I should hopefully have 6 hatched chicks by then too (2 Araucana, 3 Marans, 1 Wyandotte). I am quite excited!

Quick update.

Only 2 of the sibling group hatched. An English Cuckoo Maran and a Lavender Araucana. Shame it wasn't more, but hey ho. They will be 3 weeks old when the Transylvanians hatch, and the mama hen is unproven so I don't know how long she will care for the chicks until she weans them.

Yesterday was Day 1 incubation for the Transylvanians and the Wyandottes. I put 8 under the Polish and 10 under the Sussex as she is bigger. But halfway through the day today 2 or 3 weren't quite under her so I tucked them back in. It's so early it shouldn't harm them but it may mean a later hatch for those few. I will need to check on her during the day just to make sure she doesn't let any slip out. On day 7 or 8 I will candle and thin out any not developing. The Sussex is plenty big enough to cover 10 eggs anyway, I don't know what she was thinking!

My plan is to only have one hen eventually hatch and mother this clutch, as I'm expecting only half to develop given they are shipped eggs. But we will see what happens!

It has been sunny here the past 2 days. Yesterday very hot, today much milder. Hoping for some rain soon.

The babies are due to hatch on or around 16th July.

So the Sussex was letting a couple of eggs on the outer edge of the nest cool, so I moved one to the Polish, who is managing fine with 8 eggs. That left the Sussex with 9. This was on day 1 and 2 so I'm thinking it won't affect the hatch, except perhaps to delay those eggs by a day.

But then I did a sneaky candle on Day 5 and I'm not sure that many were developing. Some had really mobile air sacs, and some didn't look fertile. I'm going to candle again tonight (day 7) and see.

Both mamas are super diligent and won't leave the nest for more than 15 mins. The Polish is getting a little thin, so I'm thinking hard about whether I will allow her to go the whole way. Have been supplementing her with mealworms for the protein and calories.

Still have 2 weeks to go, so in the meantime, here is a pic of the other little mini-family in the flock. Just for the cutes.

Attachments

• 20230702_181044.jpg
    20230702_181044.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 19

But what breeds to get?

In Ecuador, they are called "carriocas" -- it's an indigenous Kichwa word. My best hen ever was a beautiful carrioca. She was intelligent, happy, confident, strong willed, a great senior hen, and loved life. She recently passed away in June. I have two other carriocas and they are good hens, but Cleo was someone special. Best luck with yours.

IMG_20230426_204959.jpg

In Ecuador, they are called "carriocas" -- it's an indigenous Kichwa word. My best hen ever was a beautiful carrioca. She was intelligent, happy, confident, strong willed, a great senior hen, and loved life. She recently passed away in June. I have two other carriocas and they are good hens, but Cleo was someone special. Best luck with yours.

View attachment 3567411

I'm so sorry you lost her. She sounds like an amazing bird :hugs

View attachment 3567411

She sounds amazing! Sorry to hear she died. What a picture that is 😍

Back
Top Bottom