Growing a winter garden in a fickle environment.

GabrielBane

Songster
Sep 20, 2016
Jacksonville
Gooooooood evening BYC!

Before we begin, I live in plating zone 9a (North Fl.), and while I've found that the planting zone guide it great, this year, we've had so many swings in climate (From literal 40 degree days, to 85 degree days the very next day). We wanted to start a winter garden this year, but have no idea where to start. We have a fertilized plot of soil that we allowed our hogs and turkeys to turn for a bit, and now.... it's just sitting there. Tomorrow I'd like to go out and purchase some seeds if I can, but have no idea where I'd start.

I'd love to grow Onions, Garlic, Lettuce or Cabbage. I would also live to grow micro / sweet peppers for the chickens. I do great with growing vines and I've researched growing passion vines, but I'm nervous a cold night would wipe them out if they weren't established enough. (Plus, our grape arbor is currently still up, which is where I'd put our Passion vines)

Any suggestions? We're literally open to ANYTHING! It's our first year attempting to home-stead and include produce. I've never had a particularly strong green thumb either haha

Contact your County Agricultural Extension office either with a visit, phone call or google search. They should have plenty of literature that is specific to your growing area. If you grow warm weather crops, you might want to put them in pots so you can bring them inside when frost threatens. Even a very cold night will set those crops back. Many of the cold weather crops can survive temps as low as 20*, but you might still want to have cover available for those frosty nights.

Dont be afraid to jump in and get planting. You will learn with experience what works for you. Row covers can be helpful when temps drop below what a plant can tolerate. Or use empty milk jugs with bottom cut off and cap off or on if really cold. Many type of crops can handle weather changes orthers not so much; and which variety you plant also makes a difference. This is where trial and error is the best method. So jump in!!! Try several varieties of the same veg, and also try a few different types of veg. i have had many flops and many surprise successes!!

Row covers can be helpful when temps drop below what a plant can tolerate.
We made some shade cloth row covers to protect some vege seedlings from harsh summer sun. I can slide them back and forth to cover or uncover.

I am wondering if they may help with frost protection? We have a mix of mild winters and then winters with half a dozen frosts. Last winter we lost a lot of new plantings by the 4th frost :(
But this is the first winter we get to try a winter vege garden on our new property.

Back
Top Bottom