HELP! Chick pipped wrong end and is starting to shrink wrap!

beneduck14

Songster
Feb 20, 2015
Cattlet, VA
The membrane is starting to yellow and I can hear and see the chick opening and closing mouth. The humidity dropped to 40% percent overnight oh no.

1) What should I do for now?
2) How long should I wait to help - I have helped out a couple of chicks in the past but none in this position?

Last edited:
A few questions. What day are you on? How long has it been pipped? Pipping the wrong end isn't necessarily a death sentence but those chicks do need to be monitored. Since the air sac isn't on the wrong end. Is the chick's beak out? There are two membranes, 1 is the white one closest to the shell, the other is usually clear and you maybe can see veins. Take a peak with a flashlight, what do you see? My gut tells me this one may need rescuing...

Also does it seem to be drilling the same hole and getting nowhere? Is it chirping loudly? These are indicators it may need assistance. Proceed with caution if you assist, and use a flashlight to navigate veins. Here's a great link for assisted hatches https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Wow thanks for your reply! I am now on day 21. It is chirping, not in a distressed way, and I can see the break and maybe the abdomen rising up and down quickly so it is definitely malpositioned. I woke up this morning at 5:10 for school and noticed the pip in the shell.

So sadley I am at school right now and can't do anything until 3:10 when I get home. Hopefully by then something would happen miraculously. Yah I am thinking about assisting, he seems ready to come out.

Last edited:
wee.gif
YAY!

Back
Top Bottom