Will I need to cull my flock?

LynnPG

Songster
5 Years
Jul 7, 2016
Upper Mount Bethel, PA
A respiratory infection hit my flock of chickens. Gave the standard MEDs in their food. It's now five weeks later and they are all still sneezing and wheezing with bubble eyes & runny noses. They are all eating and drinking just fine

Here is the thing, in the first week of Febuary I have baby chicks coming. They won't get integrated until/about three months old. I'll let the older hens free range around the pullets. Just to get used to each other. Then I'll start to let them free range together after two weeks.

Will the new baby chicks get this respertory?

Should I cull the flock before the baby chicks integrate?

Thank you for the help

Last edited:
I would cull the flock now. I did not do that and it took me a long time to get rid of it - wish i had bitten the bullet and done differently.

Since your chicks are to arrive within a very short few weeks I vote cull and CLEAN. You have very little time to get things under control and limit the risk to the young ones.

The other option would be to reschedule your chick order until your current birds are well. That also carries a risk because the birds may APPEAR well but remain carriers.

If it were my flock I would cull AND cancel the order to gain more time to cleanse the entire space the sick birds have used.

That is my 2 cents worth. I wish I could say your chicks will be fine but the risk is very high.

Last edited:
So sorry to learn of your situation
1f622.png
Hope I never have to deal with that kind of situation. I agree with the rest, sanitize/clean is the most important thing before starting over. I'd have to postpone starting over with my set up, got dirt flooring with shavings that I'd want to "rest" and sanitize. Again sorry and good luck

Personally I would still give the flock a chance and not cull just yet. I would recommend using tylan50 orally 1cc per bird everyday for 3 to 4 days and see what happens. If nothing happens then sadly yes cull.

Thank you everyone

The respiratory started just before Thanksgiving. We had a small coop fire that took out a little over 3/4 of the flock. I had three pullets, one guinea and 3 turkeys left(two males & one female) . Went to two local farms and picked up some hens and roosters. Trusted them when they told me the birds were healthy. So I added them in right away.

See the turkeys were picking on the remaining three pullets and they were so tramtized by such a lose. These pullets were the bottom of the pecking order too.

Here I am now, chickens with respertory problems.

I spoke with one of the local farmer and he told me to cull them too. He was sorry and he has some 8 week old chickens if I want them. I told him no thanks. If I have to cull, ill need to disinfect and rest the run and coop.

That leads me to here. I posted and posed the question. You know you have to but you are hopping you dont have too.

Thank you again everyone

Back
Top Bottom