Post worming respiratory issue?

viviandaly

In the Brooder
May 6, 2023
I dewormed my flock of 21, 2 year old red sex link chickens, 3 weeks ago. 9 days ago 2 started showing respiratory symptoms: wheezing, coughing & sneezing. I immediately separated (quarantined) them in my makeshift hospital, away from the coop & cleaned & disinfected the coop. The other 19 never showed any similar symptoms. The 2 in hospital are better after 9 days of separation, electrolytes, vetrx & vitamins. However, they still show symptoms of occasional sneezing.

My question is, how long should they stay in hospital? The weather is getting better, so I’ve been taking them outside for some exercise & dust baths - very far away from the rest of my flock. They love it and are normal. They don’t & never had bubbly eyes or runny noses. Just wheezing, coughing & sneezing. Their poop is good too & they lay every day in the hospital.

Sounds like they had some type of respiratory infection.
Have you added new birds recently?

It would be up to you to determine if they are fit enough to rejoin their flock.

Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

1) Thank you for the link. It is very helpful.
2) No new birds.

Whatever they had was mild and I will wait a few more days before I add them back.

@viviandaly
I'm just curious, what did you use to deworm your birds?
Safeguard 10%. I was curious if the deworming may have lowered their immunity. I’ve read a lot of posts here and elsewhere, and it seems common for people to have just dewormed and then they have a respiratory issue. Anyway, my two girls seem OK. One is Still sneezy. they’re staying separated for a few more days. Though the one seems 100%. However, she’s been in with the other one, not in the same cage but in the same area, so she staying put too.

Safeguard 10%. I was curious if the deworming may have lowered their immunity. I’ve read a lot of posts here and elsewhere, and it seems common for people to have just dewormed and then they have a respiratory issue. Anyway, my two girls seem OK. One is Still sneezy. they’re staying separated for a few more days. Though the one seems 100%. However, she’s been in with the other one, not in the same cage but in the same area, so she staying put too.
No, that is not true. However, it's entirely possible that birds were already infected with a respiratory disease prior to worming. They were carriers that showed symptoms when stressed. Worms weaken the chickens immune system.
One other possibility would be something in the environment causing the symptoms you're seeing.

Back
Top Bottom