Sandhill Crane

The Phantom

I love birds!!!
6 Years
Jan 9, 2017
SE Wisconsin
Does anyone have Sandhill cranes for sale or know where I can by them?
How do you get a permit? Do you get it before or after you get the birds?
I'm looking for birds of any ages. Egg, pair, adult,juvenile or anything.

They are protected. I'm not sure ownership is legal unless you are a wildlife rehabilitator. Your state fish and wildlife is the best place to find information about possible permits.

Last edited:
You can have them with a special permit.

Ok. I couldn't find anything suggesting that on the Wisconsin DNR and US FW. I suggest you contact them to find out about the process. I could only find information related to wildlife rehabilitation and hunting permits. I think you are referring to the hunting permits, which do use the term "possession" but that is referring to the number of carcasses you can have in your possession.

Last edited:
Just to add to what @SunHwaKwon has said, if a permit to possess live birds is allowed, you have to obtain the permit and have your facilities inspected prior to getting the birds. You will have to contact your state DNR to find out if it is even possible to get a permit. They are a migratory bird which is why the Federal government is involved in the regulations.

Just to add to what @SunHwaKwon has said, if a permit to possess live birds is allowed, you have to obtain the permit and have your facilities inspected prior to getting the birds. You will have to contact your state DNR to find out if it is even possible to get a permit. They are a migratory bird which is why the Federal government is involved in the regulations.
I agree with everyone about the permit & inspection, and it can vary from state to state.
I would LOVE to be able to get my hands on some prairie chicken eggs, or breeding apirs and be able to release them back to the Eastern part of the state.

We also have native ruffled grouse here.
Not many, but I saw 2 run across my drive way yesterday.
I would love to hatch & release some of them also.
It would help the bird's numbers, and maybe satisfy my hatchititis, but I would be able to release them, instead of having them forever & having to feed them !
big_smile.png

Anyone knowing of a hatchery selling Ruffled Grouse, please give me a holler !
Seems like Stromberg's has alot of these wild birds...

I agree with everyone about the permit & inspection, and it can vary from state to state.
I would LOVE to be able to get my hands on some prairie chicken eggs, or breeding apirs and be able to release them back to the Eastern part of the state.

We also have native ruffled grouse here.
Not many, but I saw 2 run across my drive way yesterday.
I would love to hatch & release some of them also.
It would help the bird's numbers, and maybe satisfy my hatchititis, but I would be able to release them, instead of having them forever & having to feed them !
big_smile.png

Anyone knowing of a hatchery selling Ruffled Grouse, please give me a holler !
Seems like Stromberg's has alot of these wild birds...

By all means get all of your required permits before purchasing any of the wild grouse. Some states will allow permits for possession but not permits for release other than those permits for dog training. Most states frown on individuals doing their own introductions or re-introductions of wild animals.

https://www.purelypoultry.com/grouse-c-257_281.html

By all means get all of your required permits before purchasing any of the wild grouse. Some states will allow permits for possession but not permits for release other than those permits for dog training. Most states frown on individuals doing their own introductions or re-introductions of wild animals.

https://www.purelypoultry.com/grouse-c-257_281.html
Thanks for all the info !
Funny, I am infested with elk right now...and here you have answered my Q's....hard to get down the driveway sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom