How to save my hens from HOA

italian chick

Chirping
Jan 24, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Hi chicken friends,
I live in Annapolis, Maryland. Legislation was passed in 2012 allowing Annapolis residents to have chickens in their yard for fresh eggs. I have two adorable hens
(Lola & Tabitha) my HOA has sent me threatening letters to remove both my hens and their coop from my property. Before I applied for my chicken permit, I read through my covenants and nowhere does it state that I am not allowed to have chickens or a coop. Any help or advice in fighting Hoa's would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. You may wish to look at the "local chicken ordinances and how to change them" as there may be some references to HOAs there.

good luck
CT

The chicken ordinance states you need approval from all neighbor abutting properties to mine. I have an end unit in a townhouse community. I have only one neighbor who abuts my property. He has signed the approval form and enjoys the hens and their eggs. The other side of my home is a large open space where our storm water management pond is. The HOA is trying to say that they are also my abutting neighbor and I did not get approval from the Board

welcome-byc.gif

Here's a link to help you find your state thread, per drumstick diva's suggestion:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Just wondering, do your chickens free range in the area where the pond is or are they confined to a run?

I've never lived in a placed ruled by an HOA but from what I've read, HOA covenants can take precedence over local city laws. And sometimes the wording on the HOA rules can be hard to decipher (maybe purposely so).

Good luck, I hope you'll be able to keep your girls.

G’Day from down under italian chick
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, living in Aus, I am not familiar with HOA’s etc. However, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in fighting this and I so hope that you do not have to part with your girls
fl.gif

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom