How to save my hens from HOA

Hate HOAs! Bought a beautiful acre of land once, when I read through the HOA rules at the signing of the property, we walked away :( We recently found one acre parcels with new homes on, they have HOA, we walked again. Have dealt with HOA once and never again. They are and can be a thorn in anyone's side.

Good luck but give it your best fight to keep your girls, maybe make them "house chickens"? Or if you have a patio, keep them in a cage in the patio & let them out in your yard (in a secure enclosure) when you're home. Maybe it's the 'visual' of the coop that they/HOA against, maybe a lawyer or some law student can help.

No HOA where I live now :)

Thanks N F C I was able to find my state thread. My hens are confined to a run so they are not disturbing the pond area in any way. There is nothing in my covenants that state I can't have chickens. I live in a small townhouse community and the ONLY person objecting is one member of the Board of Directors

Thank you Teila for your support. I'm glad I joined the BYC forum. Everyone has been very helpful. I have found over the last few months that chicken lovers are incredibly nice people.

If I knew then what I know now, I would never have bought my townhouse with these crazy HOA rules.
My run and coop are on my deck. I went through great lengths to work with an Amish company to build my coop. The exterior siding matches my townhouse.

ChickNanny13, you have the right idea. No HOA's. I've already contacted an attorney. I never thought it would get to this point. My little hens are worth it. I'll keep fighting. I just can't understand people that will go out of their way to try and separate people from their pets.

Hate HOAs!  Bought a beautiful acre of land once, when I read through the HOA rules at the signing of the property, we walked away :(  We recently found one acre parcels with new homes on, they have HOA, we walked again.  Have dealt with HOA once and never again.  They are and can be a thorn in anyone's side.  

Good luck but give it your best fight to keep your girls, maybe make them "house chickens"?  Or if you have a patio, keep them in a cage in the patio & let them out in your yard (in a secure enclosure) when you're home.  Maybe it's the 'visual' of the coop that they/HOA against, maybe a lawyer or some law student can help.

No HOA where I live now :)  

X2! I'm currently at odds with mine. They sent me a letter about a year ago tell me to get rid of my five outdoor hens. I have a friend on the board, who secretly informed me the association is broke and can't afford to take me to court. So I still have my chickens (now only three due to a fox) until they find the cash to make me get rid of them. :gig Who knew I was such a rebel. But I diligently pay my dues, so they at least can't complain about that. ;) Good luck with your case. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom