4H rabbits

braehedge

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
This thread is for 4Hers to discuss their rabbits and rabbit projects, ask and answer questions, and learn. It's like another rabbit club that isn't!

. Hi! I sort of do the 4h rabbit project(I didn't buy rabbits specifically for 4h, and don't plan to participate in the project much longer), and I breed Dutch. Pictured is my steel buck, Albrecht. You have a very nice looking mini rex. Good markings.

Thanks! I have never seen a steel Dutch before. All we have around here are blacks and blues. Your buck has nice markings, too.

Youre welcome! There aren't really any around where I live, either, apart from mine. I had to get them from a fair a few hours away. Come to think of it, there aren't really any Dutch here at all. Not many people here have an interest in having rabbits, beyond a couple pets or mongrels for meat.

Around here there aren't many purebred breeders. I'm planning on attending National Convention in 2018 to bring back some of the breeds that aren't in the Maritimes just for a change since everyone has lops, mini rexes, Netherland Dwarfs or Californians.

I raise and breed American Sables and Mini Rex. I used to raise Champagne d'Argents and Cinnamons, but recently switched to Mini Rex to gain experience with a new breed, get some more competition (Cinnamons and Champagnes are pretty rare at shows where I am, while Mini Rex are extremely common), and allow me to house more rabbits (smaller breed). This is also my fourth year in the rabbit project. I love competing in showmanship, talking with other breeders, showing, trying to improve my own rabbits, and promoting my favorite breed, the rare American Sable.

Last edited:
I currently breed mini rex, but have a few other breeds for show. I'm hoping to get a couple uncommon breeds at 2018 National Convention, though.

I raise and breed American Sables and Mini Rex. I used to raise Champagne d'Argents and Cinnamons, but recently switched to Mini Rex to gain experience with a new breed, get some more competition (Cinnamons and Champagnes are pretty rare at shows where I am, while Mini Rex are extremely common), and allow me to house more rabbits (smaller breed). This is also my fourth year in the rabbit project. I love competing in showmanship, talking with other breeders, showing, trying to improve my own rabbits, and promoting my favorite breed, the rare American Sable.
D'Argents are beautiful rabbits. I would raise them, if i had more space. Are there a lot of shows other than showmanship where you are? Around here, the only show 4h has is showmanship, and it drives me up the wall. Not that i don't like showmanship, but I wish they would branch out a little with types of shows.

Back
Top Bottom