Horse trying to kill other animals

KarateHorse

Chirping
Oct 13, 2016
NC
One of our miniature horses doesn't like any other animals. She has knocked over one of our turkeys and started ripping out her feathers. The horse has also brutally smashed one of our other turkeys. We are pretty sure the horse stomped the turkey's head and bit a big chunk out of her wing. The horse ripped the turkey's wing all the way to the bone and bruised the whole breast of our poor turkey. The turkey was put down. We seperated the poultry from the horses. Seveal weeks later we got pigs. One of the pigs got out of the pig pen and was in the horse pen and the horse was raising her front hooves and attempting to smash the pig. Luckily we got between the horse and pig before it was to late. She also tries to bite and kick our dog through the fence. Why does she do this? Is there anything we can do to make her stop?

Last edited:
Eek
1f62c.png
that doesn't sound good. I'm not an expert on that kinda stuff, but like you said, I guess just separate them and make sure your fencing is good so none of the birds or pigs can escape. Sorry none of that was really helpful
1f602.png
Good luck with the poultry and pigs

Is she new? Are the other animals new? Is she in foal? Is she possessed?
ep.gif

Seriously, that`s a scary situation. I got nothin` beyond what Lucyluvchickens said. Good luck. Hopefully someone here will have some good ideas.

Is she new?  Are the other animals new?  Is she in foal?  Is she possessed?  :eek:

Seriously, that`s a scary situation. I got nothin` beyond what Lucyluvchickens said.  Good luck.  Hopefully someone here will have some good ideas.

Thanks she is not new and neither is the turkeys she has smashed. She is not a foal. We don't know what else to do rather then to get rid of her.

Not "a foal", but "in foal", as in is she pregnant? Just wondering if that might make her suddenly aggressive. Thinking of mares with foals that attack dogs to protect the foal, only if she`s in foal she might be starting early. Grasping at straws here.

Not "a foal", but "in foal", as in is she pregnant?  Just wondering if that might make her suddenly aggressive.  Thinking of mares with foals that attack dogs to protect the foal, only if she`s in foal she might be starting early.  Grasping at straws here.

Nope she isn't pregnant. We don't have a male horse.

This sounds a bit more like donkey or mule behavior; you don't see it quite as much in horses. Basically, this isn't about the other animals so much as the space - your mini is defending her territory from animals she sees as intruders. All I can say is, be glad it's animals and not people.
hide.gif

I don't think there's a lot you can do about it, besides keeping other animals safely on the other side of the fence. I have a mini mule that does this; she gave our goats fits until she learned to tolerate them (and they learned to stay out of her way!) You can tell the mini how to act around other animals when you are there, but all bets will be off when you aren't around.
idunno.gif

This sounds a bit more like donkey or mule behavior; you don't see it quite as much in horses. Basically, this isn't about the other animals so much as the space - your mini is defending her territory from animals she sees as intruders. All I can say is, be glad it's animals and not people.:oops:

I don't think there's a lot you can do about it, besides keeping other animals safely on the other side of the fence. I have a mini mule that does this; she gave our goats fits until she learned to tolerate them (and they learned to stay out of her way!) You can tell the mini how to act around other animals  when you are there, but all bets will be off when you aren't around.:idunno

She is bad with humans as well. She isn't broke. Thanks for the reply

I guess I'm failing to see why you've kept this animal? She's human aggressive, animal aggressive, you've not mentioned any purpose she serves.

I'd get rid of her. First rule here is, you have to be respectful and play nice with others.

I guess I'm failing to see why you've kept this animal? She's human aggressive, animal aggressive, you've not mentioned any purpose she serves. 

I'd get rid of her. First rule here is, you have to be respectful and play nice with others. 

We are still trying to break her. Our two miniature horses are just pets. If we get them broke and friendly enough we are going to breed and sell miniature horses.

Back
Top Bottom