Cracked eggs

EasterEggDrew

Chirping
Aug 9, 2016
Two cracked eggs in one week, for this beginner. While I have some ideas on how to reduce the incidence of cracked eggs, I'm more confused about what to do with them.

I've seen some here talk about feeding them back to the chickens, while others say you shouldn't do that, lest they develop a taste for eggs? What's the recommendation, here?

I feed eggs back to my birds both raw and cooked. If you are worried about developing egg eaters than scramble them up, cook in the microwave for a minute or two, cool and serve.

I personally scramble some, and crack a splat others, making sure the egg doesn't resemble an egg by the time it hits the ground. My chickens love eggs in any way or form but don't eat them out of the nests unless they are broken.

I feed eggs back to my birds both raw and cooked. If you are worried about developing egg eaters than scramble them up, cook in the microwave for a minute or two, cool and serve.

I personally scramble some, and crack a splat others, making sure the egg doesn't resemble an egg by the time it hits the ground. My chickens love eggs in any way or form but don't eat them out of the nests unless they are broken.
Ditto Dat^^^

X 2 -- that said, if the crack is such that I don't suspect the interior of the egg is compromised (ie it was found in a nice, clean nest vs. sitting in the poop board) I don't hesitate to use the eggs for our family's consumption.

Where are they cracked? Its worth figuring out if its an issue of shell quality or something else. For example - I was getting a decent % of eggs cracked on the top of the eggs last year. Turned out that it was as simple as my nesting box wood bottom was exposed so when the eggs came out of the shoot they would hit the wood. Fixed it by putting a layer of cardboard over the wood and keeping the wood shaving up.

Another culprit could be pecking by the hens - that is pretty easy to spot.

If its shell quality - get them access to oyster shells (and/or feed your shells back to them - I do cook and crush them first).

I agree w/ the others - if inner membrane isn't broken - they are fine to eat. If it is - cook them w/ the shells, chop them up and feed them back to the chickens.

Our shell quality seems to be good. In fact, that inner membrane is so darn tough, compared the store bought eggs, that I have to get used to tearing through it when I crack these eggs.

We have had two cracked in two weeks. The first was an easter egger egg completely smashed to bits in the nesting box, and I think it was done by my barred rock, who lays later in the day than my easter egger. She must have jumped up into the nesting box and landed on it with a foot, as it was smashed up against the front lip of the nesting box. The second was a light brown, so probably from my barred rock, and it just had the tip caved in a bit, as if it ejected from the bird onto the floor of the nesting box with a little too much force. I have pine chips in the nesting boxes, since I haven't had a chance to go pick up any straw yet, and they sometimes kick most of the chips out of the box exposing the wood floor. On this egg, the inner membrane appears to be intact.

Last edited:
Darn rowdy pullets!!
Are these new layers?

Straw will help....but they'll also not scratch around so much after laying for awhile.

Yes. First egg was just two weeks ago today. In fact, I think only two of my four are laying, so far. I'm judging this by egg color and I can't be sure, I'm never around to see them lay!

A great suggestion I've seen on this site is to line the nest box with a folded feed bag, and then put the straw or bedding on top. It provides just enough cushion to help protect the eggs, especially if the pullets are pushing bedding around. I haven't had a cracked egg in the nest box since I started doing that.

Back
Top Bottom