brood temperature

anlicia

Chirping
Feb 24, 2017
Utah
Hello all, I just purchased some newly hatched chicks from my local nursery. I know that the brood temperature needs to be at 95 degrees, right now it's holding steady at 80 degrees and I keep the room they're in pretty warm (the thermostat is at 72 degrees). Is that warm enough for them or do I need to increase the brood temperature? Thanks for all your help!

Melanie

Last edited:
Hello all, I just purchased some newly hatched chicks from my local nursery. I know that the brood temperature needs to be at 95 degrees, right now it's holding steady at 80 degrees and I keep the room they're in pretty warm (the thermostat is at 72 degrees). Is that warm enough for them or do I need to increase the brood temperature? Thanks for all your help!

Melanie

What is your brooder setup? How are you heating it? How many chicks?

Also, how are your chicks acting? Are they huddled up together or running around being little maniacs? How they act will tell you a lot about how they're doing. My brooder never made it to 95 degrees in the first week but it wasn't 80 either....

Edited to ask how old your chicks are?

Last edited:
Melanie, you don't need to keep their whole brooder that warm. they simply need a space under the heat source where they can be warm. Recommendation is around 90 the first week. If they are acting comfortable, and not pig piling under the heat, and yelling, then they are probably fine. Have you looked at Mama heating pad cave as a heat source? check out the article link in my signature.

What is your brooder setup? How are you heating it? How many chicks? 

Also, how are your chicks acting? Are they huddled up together or running around being little maniacs? How they act will tell you a lot about how they're doing. My brooder never made it to 95 degrees in the first week but it wasn't 80 either....

Edited to ask how old your chicks are?

My brood is just a simple fishtank with 2 chicks. They're not huddling, yet and seem to be eating and drinking ok.

My brood is just a simple fishtank with 2 chicks. They're not huddling, yet and seem to be eating and drinking ok.

Fish tanks don't allow for much in the way of ventilation and can quickly become a heatbox of doom for chick if you are using a heat lamp for warmth -- If you must use a fish tank I would suggest using an alternative heat source like the mama heat pad or a brooder plate. Even with just two chicks, most anything under a 75 gallon tank is going to be fairly crowded, especially with the addition of feed/water dispensers occupying some of the space -- fish tanks are built with more vertical space than footprint....which also factors into being able to maintain a warm/cool zone in the brooder when using a lamp.

Fish tanks don't allow for much in the way of ventilation and can quickly become a heatbox of doom for chick if you are using a heat lamp for warmth -- If you must use a fish tank I would suggest using an alternative heat source like the mama heat pad or a brooder plate.  Even with just two chicks, most anything under a 75 gallon tank is going to be fairly crowded, especially with the addition of feed/water dispensers occupying some of the space -- fish tanks are built with more vertical space than footprint....which also factors into being able to maintain a warm/cool zone in the brooder when using a lamp.

Would a plastic container (like one of those big rubber maid ones) work better?

If you have one that is 3 ft long you could use it. This way they can have a cool & warm area and room for them to grow for a few weeks anyway. You might be better off getting a big cardboard box or 2 and tape them together to make it bigger. Don't forget your .going to need a screen top so they can't fly out also. This is my set up with the momma heat pad at the top of the picture. Right now it is 2' x 5' but i have another 3 ft once I take the divider out at the bottom of the picture. They grow fast so they will need room. Do you have your coop ready for them?

Yes, my coop is ready to go. I've got a few big plastic containers so I'll switch them out 1st thing this morning. Thanks for the help!

Anlica, why not consider brooding right in your coop? There's no law that says you have to brood in a box indoors.

The chicks will end up in the coop anyway. Why not just start them there in the first place? Read my article on outdoor brooding linked below.

Yes, my coop is ready to go. I've got a few big plastic containers so I'll switch them out 1st thing this morning. Thanks for the help!

Is there electric in or can be run to your coop? If so, as suggested by @azygous you can brood them right out in the coop. In addition to keeping the house free of chicken dust (you will be AMAZED at how much dust/shed fluff/etc is generated by just a few little chicks) this can offer other advantages as well. Depending on the type of coop you are using it may even make socialization easier if your goal is to have pet friendly birds.

Back
Top Bottom