Cornish x coming.

vito1

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2015
My cornish x are ordered and shipping tomorrow.If anyone has tips for the first few days i would be very grateful!TIA

My cornish x are ordered and shipping tomorrow.If anyone has tips for the first few days i would be very grateful!TIA

Have a windless place with the proper heat for their age in one area------about 95 for a couple days old chicks. The rest of the area unheated, plenty of food and water.

Most take the food away from them after they get 3 or 4 weeks old for about 12 hrs per day to control their growing.

Last edited:

A farmer down the road from us told me to give electrolytes for the first week or so when I did my first batch of chicks via the mail. I found a pro biotic and electrolyte mix that we gave for the first couple weeks. We had 1 loss out of 27 birds that arrived the second day. Other than that, just stick to the brooding basics. The whole 5 degrees per week step down is accelerated due to the accelerated growth of the cornish. Based on the 5 degree per week step down, my broilers would have needed temps around 80F when I put them out on pasture with night time temps in the 30s. Just have to gauge their feather growth. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom