What live/dressed weights are you getting from your heritage /crosses meat birds?

Hello, this sounds really cool, I am planning on doing something similar, already incubated my heritage stock (have 1 week old cornish dark + light as well, and Bresse). I plan to later on get hens from cornish cross or some Label Rouge meat birds to cross.

I was also wondering how to keep the cornish cross hens from dying prematurely, I was planning to reduce commercial feed and give them more greens and lower calories food. And then once they are bigger, let them free range with only limited feed supplementation.

How do the Cornish Cross eggs look like? Are they similar to the heritage cornish? If I have a mix of heritage + cross in the same area can I tell them apart?

Would you guide me through the pictures you posted? Like what generation and at what age were those weights and so on? Which ones are the hybrids?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-large-table-birds.68027/

We're beginners at processing chickens for meat, last weekend we butchered 4 out of 8 roosters - going to do the other 4 this weekend. They were Marans and Marans crosses, older than we would have preferred, 8 months instead of 4, but we were surprised at how big they were. 6-8 lbs dressed, I was surprised at how much bigger they were compared to buying a whole chicken at the store. Of course it's because they were older, but since our intention is to freeze a bunch of chicken pot pie and soup, I'm sure they will be good.

Back
Top Bottom