White Ranger from Freedom Ranger Hatchery - Results and Experiences Anyone?

FunClucks

Crowing
Apr 8, 2022
North Alabama
Has anyone raised the White Rangers from Freedom Ranger hatchery? How did they grow? What was your experience with these? In particular, I'm interested to know how they compare to Cornish Cross. From the website, it sounds like these have the growth rate and size of a cornish cross (more or less), but they avoid the typical CX health issues (heart attacks, leg issues, ascites, not heat or cold tolerant, not tolerant of being wet). I'm hoping these are slightly more active, and can withstand the heat and cold a lot better, while still being pretty docile and tolerant of being confined. Do they put on meat basically the same as CX?

I raised 21 CX in 150 square feet open air covered run (no free ranging), and would like to do the same with these White Rangers if possible. Processing goal is 7-9 weeks.

I'm also interested in breeding these and hatching eggs myself for my own use. I'm aware that the birds would have variable characteristics, but how difficult would it be to get them to breed? For CX if they're raised for meat in confinement, the males are too fat to breed. Is this the case for the white rangers also? Would I have to feed restrict these if I want them to breed or live past about a year or year and a half?

https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/shop/product/white-ranger/

Has anyone raised the White Rangers from Freedom Ranger hatchery? How did they grow? What was your experience with these? In particular, I'm interested to know how they compare to Cornish Cross. From the website, it sounds like these have the growth rate and size of a cornish cross (more or less), but they avoid the typical CX health issues (heart attacks, leg issues, ascites, not heat or cold tolerant, not tolerant of being wet). I'm hoping these are slightly more active, and can withstand the heat and cold a lot better, while still being pretty docile and tolerant of being confined. Do they put on meat basically the same as CX?

I raised 21 CX in 150 square feet open air covered run (no free ranging), and would like to do the same with these White Rangers if possible. Processing goal is 7-9 weeks.

I'm also interested in breeding these and hatching eggs myself for my own use. I'm aware that the birds would have variable characteristics, but how difficult would it be to get them to breed? For CX if they're raised for meat in confinement, the males are too fat to breed. Is this the case for the white rangers also? Would I have to feed restrict these if I want them to breed or live past about a year or year and a half?

If these are the Sasso "White Rangers" they are good, meaty birds. We had some that dressed out at 10-12lbs. We had these and Poulet Gauloise (brown) Sassos too, which are NOT the heritage breed but excellent eating. We got part way through them when my wife fell ill with breast cancer (16 years in remission now) so we had to stop. The birds that were left were used for BIG eggs and breeding. Some were crossed with a Bressé cock, others with a Blacks JG and some just with each other. They breed with no trouble whatsoever. The crosses were even bigger than the parent birds.
The only thing I would caution you about is their feet. Some of the original birds had crooked toes, so if you DO want to breed from them, make sure you only breed from the ones with good feet. Other than that, go ahead and enjoy lots of wonderful home fed chicken!
The Parent Sassos are a full size cock and a dwarfed hen to save on feed but their offspring just breed as any other type. Hope that helps. I'll tey and sort out some photos for you.

If these are the Sasso "White Rangers" they are good, meaty birds. We had some that dressed out at 10-12lbs. We had these and Poulet Gauloise (brown) Sassos too, which are NOT the heritage breed but excellent eating. We got part way through them when my wife fell ill with breast cancer (16 years in remission now) so we had to stop. The birds that were left were used for BIG eggs and breeding. Some were crossed with a Bressé cock, others with a Blacks JG and some just with each other. They breed with no trouble whatsoever. The crosses were even bigger than the parent birds.
The only thing I would caution you about is their feet. Some of the original birds had crooked toes, so if you DO want to breed from them, make sure you only breed from the ones with good feet. Other than that, go ahead and enjoy lots of wonderful home fed chicken!
The Parent Sassos are a full size cock and a dwarfed hen to save on feed but their offspring just breed as any other type. Hope that helps. I'll tey and sort out some photos for you.
Thank you! Super helpful info!!!

Freedom Ranger also offers a "Sasso chicken" (white/amber barred bird, link below), so it's possible the White Rangers are related to the birds you are talking about - they may have purchased both lines.

https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/shop/product/sasso-chickens/

Glad your wife is in remission. Crossing my fingers for her to continue!

If I remember you're in England or Wales? Just wondering how your weather compares to mine over in the United States (north Alabama).

We get lows of just below freezing for a month or so in winter, only 3 days of snow (few inches) a year, and high heat and humidity from June to August/September (35-37C is common (95-100F), with 50-80% humidity). I'm wondering how these White Rangers will do through the high heat/high humidity summer temps. I have 50-70% moderate shade on their coop, and a fair bit of breeze, but some days are like a sauna. Cornish cross don't do well here during the summer at all, so I've avoided raising them in the heat so far, but we don't have a very long spring or fall - it's hard to schedule butchering for when it's not miserable outside. And I'm done with butchering when my hands feel like ice - I butchered a batch of CX in early/mid March this year, and there was ice on my processing table next to where I was parting out the bird. Not doing that again if I can avoid it!

Thank you! Super helpful info!!!

Freedom Ranger also offers a "Sasso chicken" (white/amber barred bird, link below), so it's possible the White Rangers are related to the birds you are talking about - they may have purchased both lines.

https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/shop/product/sasso-chickens/

Glad your wife is in remission. Crossing my fingers for her to continue!

If I remember you're in England or Wales? Just wondering how your weather compares to mine over in the United States (north Alabama).

We get lows of just below freezing for a month or so in winter, only 3 days of snow (few inches) a year, and high heat and humidity from June to August/September (35-37C is common (95-100F), with 50-80% humidity). I'm wondering how these White Rangers will do through the high heat/high humidity summer temps. I have 50-70% moderate shade on their coop, and a fair bit of breeze, but some days are like a sauna. Cornish cross don't do well here during the summer at all, so I've avoided raising them in the heat so far, but we don't have a very long spring or fall - it's hard to schedule butchering for when it's not miserable outside. And I'm done with butchering when my hands feel like ice - I butchered a batch of CX in early/mid March this year, and there was ice on my processing table next to where I was parting out the bird. Not doing that again if I can avoid it!
The " Poulet Gauloise" are what you call Freedom Rangers and the Whites are the same. I could have had the salmon barred too but we didn't have room. If they are selling them ad suitable for where you are they should be fine. We are in Derbyshire now, foairly near the middle of the country, but at the time we were on the Isle of Axholme up near the Humber and about 30 miles from the North Sea. The weather wasn't usually too extreme but did have its moments! During the "beast from the east" we had around 3 feet of snow for a month but that was exceptional.
We keep all the birds down at our eldest sons smallholding at Belper in the Amber Valley now. It's a 20 minute drive from us but we get down a few times a week. Our granddaughtrs partner looks after them between visits. We just have French birds now, along with highland cattle and hope yo be getting a couple of Tamworth and Mangalitza pigs this year. The blonde Mangalitzas are like the old Lincolnshire curly coated pigs that have been reintroduced.

The " Poulet Gauloise" are what you call Freedom Rangers and the Whites are the same. I could have had the salmon barred too but we didn't have room. If they are selling them ad suitable for where you are they should be fine. We are in Derbyshire now, foairly near the middle of the country, but at the time we were on the Isle of Axholme up near the Humber and about 30 miles from the North Sea. The weather wasn't usually too extreme but did have its moments! During the "beast from the east" we had around 3 feet of snow for a month but that was exceptional.
We keep all the birds down at our eldest sons smallholding at Belper in the Amber Valley now. It's a 20 minute drive from us but we get down a few times a week. Our granddaughtrs partner looks after them between visits. We just have French birds now, along with highland cattle and hope yo be getting a couple of Tamworth and Mangalitza pigs this year. The blonde Mangalitzas are like the old Lincolnshire curly coated pigs that have been reintroduced.
Thank you so much for the information! Super helpful! So good to know. Sounds like your weather is similar to middle/northeastern USA. [I'm not as familiar with weather on the western seaboard of the US, so I can't comment on that.]

Have fun with your new pigs!

I ordered a batch of 60 birds from FR back in February. 35 white rangers and 25 New Hampshire’s. All but 6 white rangers died in shipping, and only 3 NH died if that shows how hardy they are. To be fair, usps screwed up and delayed shipping to over 4 days.

Growth rate was identical to Cornish cross. The meat was excellent though. Much better imo than regular rangers. The New Hampshire’s we’re also very tasty.

All that said, I would order them again but during warmer conditions. I think they just got way too stressed in shipping. FR refunded all the chicks as well.

I ordered a batch of 60 birds from FR back in February. 35 white rangers and 25 New Hampshire’s. All but 6 white rangers died in shipping, and only 3 NH died if that shows how hardy they are. To be fair, usps screwed up and delayed shipping to over 4 days.

Growth rate was identical to Cornish cross. The meat was excellent though. Much better imo than regular rangers. The New Hampshire’s we’re also very tasty.

All that said, I would order them again but during warmer conditions. I think they just got way too stressed in shipping. FR refunded all the chicks as well.
Thanks for sharing your experience. This is helpful to know. Did you try and keep any White Rangers back for breeding? If so, how did that work?

How long did the New Hampshires take to get to butcher weight compared to the White Rangers? I assume you fed/managed them both the same? I've had my eye on those too. How did the New Hampshires compare to the White Rangers for live weight/dressed weight at butchering?

Did either breed live through the summer, and if so how did they do? Also how hot did they get where you live?

So sorry you lost so many birds. I'm glad FR Hatchery refunded you for the lost birds. That's interesting the difference in hardiness though.

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is helpful to know. Did you try and keep any White Rangers back for breeding? If so, how did that work?

How long did the New Hampshires take to get to butcher weight compared to the White Rangers? I assume you fed/managed them both the same? I've had my eye on those too. How did the New Hampshires compare to the White Rangers for live weight/dressed weight at butchering?

Did either breed live through the summer, and if so how did they do? Also how hot did they get where you live?

So sorry you lost so many birds. I'm glad FR Hatchery refunded you for the lost birds. That's interesting the difference in hardiness though.
The new hamps we’re considerably slower than the white rangers. I don’t have dressed weights for you but the NH will take an extra month over the whites. Both were free fed. I’d expect to have a dressed NH weight of 5lbs at 10-12 weeks which still is pretty fast. The NH are a quick growing bird. Several would waddle around like the whites.

I didn’t keep any whites but kept 5 NH. Lost 3 to a predator and now have 2 pullets. They’re foraging around and nice and healthy. The can fly to roost and my guess is they’re around 8-10 lbs now at 4 months. I live in East Tennessee and it gets pretty humid here. The Nh seem to be doing fine in the heat.

Edit: I have a photo of when I weighed a NH rooster at 9wks. 5lbs 11 oz.

Attachments

• 031FC9D5-368B-4F70-AD5F-1876AEC7077C.jpeg
    031FC9D5-368B-4F70-AD5F-1876AEC7077C.jpeg
    801.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
The new hamps we’re considerably slower than the white rangers. I don’t have dressed weights for you but the NH will take an extra month over the whites. Both were free fed. I’d expect to have a dressed NH weight of 5lbs at 10-12 weeks which still is pretty fast. The NH are a quick growing bird. Several would waddle around like the whites.

I didn’t keep any whites but kept 5 NH. Lost 3 to a predator and now have 2 pullets. They’re foraging around and nice and healthy. The can fly to roost and my guess is they’re around 8-10 lbs now at 4 months. I live in East Tennessee and it gets pretty humid here. The Nh seem to be doing fine in the heat.

Edit: I have a photo of when I weighed a NH rooster at 9wks. 5lbs 11 oz.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the info!

Back
Top Bottom