Meat Bird crossing?

Ok what I was asking and must not have made it very clear was has anyone ever crossed to different breeds of the slower growing meat birds. Such as a Kosher King rooster over a Freedom Ranger Hen? If you did this do you think you would get more off spring that were meaty and grew well. I have read where a lot of people who tried to raise say Freedom Ranger x Freedom Ranger get slower growing and smaller chicks. I noticed that the freedom ranger color yield is a cross of two different slower growing meat birds.
So has anyone tried this?
Watch what this guy is doing. This is what you asked about. This is week 7 of fast growing meat bird x American Bresse. This is one of several youtube videos on this cross. Get well soon and dream on. This is not really 2 slower growers. It is one fast and one slow. I have crossed a Black Sex link Rooster onto a Rhode Island Red Hen and love that cross. The roosters are fast growing. I'm about to process some tomorrow I hope if all goes well. I think this is what I will hatch out some of soon for our use for grilling and frying.

I actually recently watched most if not all of his videos, and noticed that he had to cull several times in order to get what he was looking for, something people refuse to do. In order to reach a desired characteristic in any animal, culling is necessary. He said on one of the videos, that he had bigger roosters that he rejected over one which had the blue legs, which was a specific characteristic that he was looking for, had him been looking for bigger size only, he would have kept the larger roosters for breeding, so as a breeder you must have a clear goal in mind which you want to reach, else you will be breeding just to breed, and soon you will not even remember why you started breeding for.

When two meat crosses are crossed then the genes get scrambled enough that there will be many options to pursue until a new breed can be developed. It does take several generations to get them to breed true. Every breed listed in hatchery catalogs and websites at one time was the results of a cross whether in the wild or most likely by a breeder. Messing with chicken genetics is a wonderful hobby that I too pursue and hope to have a few more years to work with.

I actually recently watched most if not all of his videos, and noticed that he had to cull several times in order to get what he was looking for, something people refuse to do. In order to reach a desired characteristic in any animal, culling is necessary. He said on one of the videos, that he had bigger roosters that he rejected over one which had the blue legs, which was a specific characteristic that he was looking for, had him been looking for bigger size only, he would have kept the larger roosters for breeding, so as a breeder you must have a clear goal in mind which you want to reach, else you will be breeding just to breed, and soon you will not even remember why you started breeding for.
He keeps good records. It's not a hap hazard hobby for him. I have CxR hens and Bresse roos now along with white giant roos and hen. I want to AI the big CxR roo onto some WG hens.... just maybe.

He keeps good records. It's not a hap hazard hobby for him. I have CxR hens and Bresse roos now along with white giant roos and hen. I want to AI the big CxR roo onto some WG hens.... just maybe.
I currently have CX hens and roosters that are over a year old, and I am struggling to see what I can do to keep the hens laying a least a few times a week. I have figured that I can keep them alive with restricted feed, which is what I have done from early on, but with restricted feed, the hens don't lay, so I have noticed that when I increase their daily feed just slightly, within a few day they will lay, maybe not every day, but they will lay, but I don't want to increase the amount of feed permanently out of fear that they will just get too fat, then I would be forced to put them on a very severe diet which will hurt me more than it will hurt them, so I am trying to figure how to keep them laying even if it's a few eggs per week, I don't need them for egg production, but for reproduction only. I am now waiting for Red Broilers to arrive (6 hens and a rooster), so that if I don't figure how to get the CX hens to lay consistently even if it's just two eggs a week, then I will be forced to cross a CX rooster to Red Broiler hens, to boost the chicks egg laying characteristics and have a fast growing meat bird, not as fast grower as the pure CX, but something is better than nothing.

One kind of trait that I never want to develop is the ones that CxR and high production egg layers have. That is they have short lives. Egg layers so prone to cancers and meat birds to heart attacks. I lost on of my CxR hens last night. Found her dead in the coop this morning. I still have 10 to work with. It's funny how the CxR hens are listed a layers of small eggs. I've had to wait until they started laying smaller eggs that aren't double yolked. Most of their eggs are extra large and now single yolked. The WG roos are about old enough to breed them. I may get some eggs set this month yet. Murry McMurray used to sell WGxR meat birds back in the 50's and 60's. Don't know why the stopped. I have one White Rock roo to use on 4 extra WG hens. Time to find out about that meat cross.

One kind of trait that I never want to develop is the ones that CxR and high production egg layers have. That is they have short lives. Egg layers so prone to cancers and meat birds to heart attacks. I lost on of my CxR hens last night. Found her dead in the coop this morning. I still have 10 to work with. It's funny how the CxR hens are listed a layers of small eggs. I've had to wait until they started laying smaller eggs that aren't double yolked. Most of their eggs are extra large and now single yolked. The WG roos are about old enough to breed them. I may get some eggs set this month yet. Murry McMurray used to sell WGxR meat birds back in the 50's and 60's. Don't know why the stopped. I have one White Rock roo to use on 4 extra WG hens. Time to find out about that meat cross.
Anytime humans try to force nature to do one thing extremely well, other things must be sacrificed, we can't have it all I guess. Dual purpose birds are like a honda civic, will get you there, but not as fast as a sports car.

Anytime humans try to force nature to do one thing extremely well, other things must be sacrificed, we can't have it all I guess. Dual purpose birds are like a honda civic, will get you there, but not as fast as a sports car.
I don't think you can really force it as much as have a theory and hope for the best. American Bresse may not offer lot or it may be a missing piece of the genetic puzzle. Time will tell. I sure like what I see in my WG roos and the gentleness in the WG hens. Good genes there to work with. I can't see letting what looks like the best alone but rather try to improve on it.

I don't think you can really force it as much as have a theory and hope for the best. American Bresse may not offer lot or it may be a missing piece of the genetic puzzle. Time will tell. I sure like what I see in my WG roos and the gentleness in the WG hens. Good genes there to work with. I can't see letting what looks like the best alone but rather try to improve on it.
What I meant by "forcing it" is, for example, the White Leghorn hens, they can lay up to 360 eggs in one year, that is 5 eggs shorts of an egg per day for a whole year, that is pushing a physical body to the limits and then some.

What I meant by "forcing it" is, for example, the White Leghorn hens, they can lay up to 360 eggs in one year, that is 5 eggs shorts of an egg per day for a whole year, that is pushing a physical body to the limits and then some.
They are using up the hens life in the name of feed efficiency. A hen only has so many eggs to lay the day they are hatch. They are being bred to be almost like a disposable. Use them up quick and send the off to the soup kitchen. Now I've heard that a lot of spent leghorns are fed to gators on gator farms. If that is still true I don't know. When I was a kid still in school we stopped at a gator farm and the worker told us it was quite a sight when it was feeding day with chickens. He didn't specify live chickens or dead chickens. Sick.

They are using up the hens life in the name of feed efficiency. A hen only has so many eggs to lay the day they are hatch. They are being bred to be almost like a disposable. Use them up quick and send the off to the soup kitchen. Now I've heard that a lot of spent leghorns are fed to gators on gator farms. If that is still true I don't know. When I was a kid still in school we stopped at a gator farm and the worker told us it was quite a sight when it was feeding day with chickens. He didn't specify live chickens or dead chickens. Sick.
I understand that you are an animal lover, and so am I, but I don't mind if the animal has to be dispatched for a good use, however I do oppose the killing for sports, but to each their own.
In ancient Egypt they used to throw human babies to crocodiles in the Nile, because they considered the crocs as gods. Times have not changed much, even today, there are groups that consider themselves to be above the law, and still do such things with babies and children, sacrificing them to honor their god of the underworld.
You and I are pretty much chickens in a big farm ran by those who consider themselves to be above the law, and they cull humans just like they do chickens in chicken farms, a certain vaccine comes to mind. I better stop right now before they do what they did to my facebook and instagram accounts.

Back
Top Bottom