Overly large broilers?

Robins Roost

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2022
I do realize this is not something to complain about, but I'm wondering what is going on. I ordered 25 Cornish Cross Roaster chicks (not JUMBO Cornish X), expecting to raise them for 12 weeks. They seem rather large for their age, so did a live weight on a couple of them at 59 days. The smallest is 7# and the larger males are over 12#.
I have fed them Green Mountain Organics 18% broiler crumbles (allowing the food to run out during the night), along with weeds, kale, etc. from my garden.
All 26 (yes, the +1 free chick) have been incredibly healthy & no losses in spite of the rapid growth.
Wondering if I was accidentally sent Jumbo Cornish X? Is there any other explanation for the size? Has anyone else had this happen? I am so thankful to be able to have home grown chicken again after over a decade of not being able to, so again... not complaining, just wondering if this is "normal".
Thanks for any input.

There are some slight differences in the various strains of CX that are sold, but the weights you are seeing are commensurate with my experience in raising "standard" CX. I've never raised ones advertised as "jumbos", so I'm not sure how much (even bigger) those chickens are.

I'll add that, I think that, even over the last 10 years, they have improved growth rates on standard CX so that they really are ready to harvest at 6 to 8 weeks old, even if food is limited to daylight hours. So, if you are getting back into this after a few years away, I wouldn't be surprised if you noticed them being bigger than you recall.

A couple of years ago, after taking a few years away from CX, I happened to pick up a couple of standard CX from my feed store to add in with some heritage chicks I was brooding. These CX chicks were very active and tried their best to keep up with ranging with their hatch-mates, rather than park themselves at the food dish. Despite that, the CX dressed out at 8 lbs after 9 weeks. I was surprised at their size, and didn't recall them getting quite so big, so fast, before.

There are some slight differences in the various strains of CX that are sold, but the weights you are seeing are commensurate with my experience in raising "standard" CX. I've never raised ones advertised as "jumbos", so I'm not sure how much (even bigger) those chickens are.

I'll add that, I think that, even over the last 10 years, they have improved growth rates on standard CX so that they really are ready to harvest at 6 to 8 weeks old, even if food is limited to daylight hours. So, if you are getting back into this after a few years away, I wouldn't be surprised if you noticed them being bigger than you recall.

A couple of years ago, after taking a few years away from CX, I happened to pick up a couple of standard CX from my feed store to add in with some heritage chicks I was brooding. These CX chicks were very active and tried their best to keep up with ranging with their hatch-mates, rather than park themselves at the food dish. Despite that, the CX dressed out at 8 lbs after 9 weeks. I was surprised at their size, and didn't recall them getting quite so big, so fast, before.
Thank you so much for your response. Murray McMurray is advertising them as slower growing, so I had my timeline planned for September 15th at 12 weeks old. Intensions...😏
The half dozen Brahma chicks I hatched out a week prior to the broilers arriving did well with integrating for the most part. They finally started roosting a couple weeks ago, maybe concerned about being trampled by the fatties. Lol
Thanks again. <3

I agree .

Back
Top Bottom