need advice on ventilation

D13Chickens

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2017
im converting part of the barn into a coop. i want to know if i should put a window in the back wall. 2 sides r slatted, 2 sides are solid

this is front and right side. the window there is going to b the access to tge run

this is the interior left wall, its slatted open to the rest of tge barn

this is backwall and interior right wall. no slatts

front wall showing slatts.

any advice would be great. thanks!

I am not thinking you would need to for ventilation but maybe for lighting.
Not knowing your climate makes it harder to help. If you get hot where you are then yes the more air the better.

Welcome to BYC!!
Good to add your location to your profile...really helps with many questions/advice.

Your open rafter/soffit will help with winter ventilation,
but I'd add a solid fascia to the rafter ends and a 1/2" Hardware Cloth soffit to keep predators/pests out.
Here's a pretty good discussion on ventilation:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

What's on the other side of that interior wall....will you mind when it gets covered in dust??
If so, might want to cover the gap with something solid.

Actually any gaps leading to coop area that are bigger than 1/2" are good to cover with 1/2" HC

I'd leave that window for light and top hinge a glazed window it for summer ventilation, and cut a pop door below for the chickens.
Maybe even add another window or two for light and ventilation.

Is that a dirt floor?
Think about adding 'anti-dig aprons' all around.

Last edited:
aart,
I was planning in lining the entire room with1/4 in hardwarecloth. including the ground. then just build up the floor w more dirt before i put the bedding in. But should i use vinyl coated hardware cloth for anything that will be burried? also i cant find any 1/4 vinyl coated, is 1/2 really ok?

I cleared the room out yesterday so i will post more pics later. i have lots of questions. my biggest concerns going foward are mice hawks and fox

aart,
I was planning in lining the entire room with1/4 in hardwarecloth. including the ground. then just build up the floor w more dirt before i put the bedding in. But should i use vinyl coated hardware cloth for anything that will be burried? also i cant find any 1/4 vinyl coated, is 1/2 really ok?
I lined my entire coop with 1/2" HC, because I had squirrels chew thru the walls previously, but it is not on the ground.
The HC on the floor is covered with heavy duty foam back vinyl flooring for cleaning ease and to keep the birds from contacting the HC.
Not sure it was necessary, and it sure was expensive, but probably helps keep the larger mice out the feed.
Only possible downside I've realized is that bedding will gather between HC and outer wall sheathing between the wall studs.
This was partly repelled by vinyl flooring going up the wall 8" in places and I tacked feed bag material up in the other places.
I say possible downside as pests might find a cozy home there.

1/2" will exclude most predators, if it is attached properly.
1/4" has smaller wires so is weaker and would rust more quickly in contact with the ground.

I don't like vinyl coated wire as the coating can crack,
allowing moisture to work unevaporated to corrode from the inside.
But it might work good if buried as it wouldn't be exposed to ultraviolet degradation of the vinyl.

Hope something in there helps you make your decision.

along the back and side, the ground is wet in the barn. there is a slight slope to the land behind it so the water runs right down. what should i do to mitigate this. i was thinking digging a trench outside and diverting it away and filling w gravel

If your door
side is facing east or south, just screen the whole front and make it into an open air coop. Your birds will love you for it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom