Baby quail questions!!

briellebowser98

Hatching
Mar 28, 2017
I only had one baby quail, and it hatched this morning. I don't know how to get him to eat or drink anything because I have him in a separate clear tote and he can see my baby ducks and he keeps crying and wanting with them.. help! Any tips appreciated

He is a bobwhite quail. He just seems so lonely and I don't know what to do. He won't eat or drink because he's to busy looking at the ducks

I found this post that might help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-raise-bobwhite-quail

Here's a quote about feeding: "Lay paper towels down and sprinkle feed all around the floor of the brooder by the feeder. Bobwhites are not very quick to learn where to find food or water. So keep sprinkling feed around for several days until you see all of them have figured out where the feed is kept. Same with the water. When removing babies from the incubator, dip everybody's beak in the water. I like to do it again throughout the day that first day so they remember where the water is. Dipping the beaks immediately after hatch will also help to prevent pasty butt as well. Keep the feed and water off on the other side of the brood opposite the heat source so that they have to leave the heat to get to the goods. This is very important that there are cool spots in the brooder as young chicks can't yet regulate their internal temps and need to be able to cool off along the edges. "

Try giving him a soft toy to cuddle up to, or make him a bit of a cave with an old towel/blanket. My Button quail chicks appreciated a teddy bear to snuggle up to when they were abandoned by their mother. Good luck - just try not to get him too imprinted on you as I remember a story about a lady who had a Bobwhite imprint on her very strongly and it was very difficult. I think in the end she put him down as the bird had to be with her 24/7, stressing badly if she wasn't in sight. Maybe try and find someone with chicks you could buy.

I agree with the above posts. Definitely pick him up and poke his beak into the water dish so he remembers. Also for food, spend some time and poke at the floor of his brooder with your finger until you notice he starts to peck.

A beanie baby or some sort of small soft toy would be great too as the babies I just hatched LOVE to snuggle against it. Since he's alone I would just give him lots of attention. :)

I found that my newly hatched chicks liked the shiny reflection on the marbles that I had in a small lid of water. I put the marbles in to stop them from falling in, but it had the added side benefit of being all shiny and appealing to peck at so they figured out how to drink on their own. I hope your little fella is doing okay.

Back
Top Bottom