The Saga of a Chicken-Dad

Abronsyth

Songster
7 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Upstate NY
It is that time of year. Things are warming up, the snow is (slowly) melting off, and chicks are abundant. Having been without chickens since June of 2016 we (my mom, younger sibling, and I) have been eager to once again hear the pleasant sound of chickens clucking, hens gossiping, roosters crowing, and sleepy birds singing before bed.

The plan started in September of 2016. We put in an order for 25 chicks from a hatchery, setting the ship date for mid-March. The 25 was split into three breeds, each one of our breeds of choice. Ten Dutch bantams for mom, ten cochins for my sibling, and five polish bantams for me. As March drew closer we began making preparations. The garage was entirely emptied out, cleaned, and set up with a brooder for the hatchlings, and a large pen for juveniles. It was two days before the arrival. We were all anxious with excitement. We were expecting a phone call letting us know that all chicks had hatched and would be arriving soon. The phone rang...and it was not the call we were expecting. The woman on the phone refused to tell my mom which of the breeds was the problem, but apparently our chicks would not be ready until the end of April. We were all rather disheartened by this, but we had waited this long already.

It wasn't long before the local feed store got their order of chicks in. Naturally it was only a matter of time before we somehow ended up driving home with some chicks in tow. Those chicks turned out to be 11 silkies, which have all been enthusiastically claimed by my little sibling (the cochin/silkie/brahma lover). Of course we really do not have the room for 36 chicks (25 from the hatchery and the 11 silkies). Mom decided to call the hatchery and cancel our order, since it would still be many weeks until the eggs would even hatch. While waiting for our hefty deposit to be refunded the longing gnawed away at my mom and I. While we both absolutely love our little silkie flock, neither of us are super-fans of silkies. I was not exactly surprised when, while my mom and sibling went to a dentist appointment, I received a text with a picture of six little bantams. So now mom had her little mystery batch of clean leg bantams (we're thinking 3 sebrights and 3 EE). This just left me feeling forlorn.

Mom started looking into some ideas and stumbled upon a reasonably priced second-hand incubator. We found a breeder selling fertile standard Polish eggs, and purchased a dozen. I set up the incubator as carefully as imaginable. I had three thermometers in it, an accurate hygrometer, an auto egg turner, and a tubing system set up so that I wouldn't have to open the incubator to add more water for humidity. I let it set for about a week and it stayed constant at 100°F and 48% humidity. The eggs finally arrived and I unwrapped each with loving hands. They set for twenty four hours, I candled each, and placed them in the incubator. The temperature and humidity remained stable, and I was a happy camper. Twenty-four hours went by without a hitch. Alas, forty-eight hours did not. I woke up another morning later and went to check on the incubator. It was off.

I panicked and struggled to figure out what to do. My outlet had, for reasons unknown, simply stopped working. I grabbed an extension cord and quickly got the incubator running again. The temperature slowly climbed and I started to relax. There was a problem, though. The temperature would not go over 84°F, no matter what I did. As far as we can tell the outlet dying caused the incubator to short out, rendering it pretty much useless, and my eggs undeveloped.

I was heart-broken. Oh, how I longed for just a small handful of sweet little chickens to call my own, which would travel with me when I move out and keep a smile on my face. Another decent incubator could not be afforded, and I simply had no interest in the birds remaining at the local tractor supply. What was a chickenless man to do?

Finally the refund came through from the 25 hatchery chicks. It took about three weeks, because the woman apparently forgot to put it through. My mom decided to use a small part of the refund to let me purchase some chicks from a hatchery. I found a hatchery with a minimum order of 3 for standard sized birds, and, better yet, they happen to carry my very favorite breed for a reasonable price, plus with the ability to choose the sexes of the birds. Delighted, I put in an order for 3 black Sumatras; one cockerel, and two pullets.

So now, at last, I can begin preparing the set up in my room for chicks.

With luck I will receive a call next Monday informing me that the hatch went well, and by Tuesday or Wednesday I will be the very proud owner of three sweet little sumatras. At this point we have figured out what happened to the outlet (faulty wiring from 20 years ago finally rearing its ugly head), the silkies are coming up on 3 weeks old, the bitty-bantams (we call them since the silkies are also bantams, haha) are coming up on 2 weeks old. I have some pictures of these 17 nuggets to share with you all shortly.

Hence now being active again here on BYC! I cannot wait to share the journey of their growth with you all :D

Here are the promised pictures of my mom and sibling's babies!

First, the 11 silkies! (Tofu, Miso, Wonton, Chives, Sage, Coriander, Dill, Parsley, Poppy, Basil, and Salsa)
These are all of today, their first time outside.

We're pretty sure Wonton is a rooster, and probably Chives as well...not sure on the others (how lucky would that be if the rest were hens?!)

And here are the bitty-bantams (Macadamia "Mac," Hazel, Cashew, Almond, Peanut, and Pistachio)

Mac (we think the only bitty rooster), Peanut, and Pistachio are the Sebrights. Cashew and Almond are EEs, and we think that Hazel (the "chipmunk" one) is an EE...but she's really small, so we're not entirely sure yet.

I'll mostly post about my little fuzzballs when they arrive, but these fluff-butts will be mentioned as well.

Yesterday mom and Quail (my sibling) decided to integrate the bitty-bantams and the silkies. Seems to be going well. The silkies are much larger, but the bitty-bantams make up for their stature in attitude. I am worried about Hazel, she's the very smallest of them all and seems to be more mild in temperament than the other bitties. She also is the only one with pink/orange feet, and that seems to make her wee toes a target for curious beaks. The others are pretty protective of her, though, and she is also the quickest of them all.

Mac, who we're pretty sure is the only bitty rooster, systematically challenged each and every silkie until they all backed down. Watching him trying to take on Wonton, the largest silkie, was hilarious. Wonton is a pretty mellow bird, he seems to be fascinated by the bitties but gives them their space. Only three of the silkies are brats to the little ones; Coriander, Dill, and Parsley. Thankfully the silkies are way, way slower and less maneuverable than the bitties.

Overall everyone seems to be settled in pretty well! The bitties stick together, but the silkies kind of mix and mingle with them.

I for one am very busy working on the coop. I've taken a break, though, to get my brooder set up for my sumatras.

Here are some pictures of the work in progress coop!
tumblr_oo9ercLTgQ1w1up8po1_400.jpg
tumblr_oo9ercLTgQ1w1up8po2_1280.jpg
tumblr_oo9ercLTgQ1w1up8po3_1280.jpg

So there are 4 old rabbit hutches. I am revamping them, taking off the doors, and turning them into additional floor space for the birds. I'm bringing down another old hutch today and boarding up the sides, adding a partition, and turning it into a nice little dual-nestbox. I also have some nice posts I'll be using to build perches.

I'll post pictures of the brooder once I have it set up...not that it's anything fancy, haha.

Thank you, AshlyMommaWard!

Here's the brooder! All set up with a medium sized heat plate, a bowl for food (near the plate) and a bowl for water w/ marbles added as a precautionary measure.
tumblr_oogg99qiFT1w1up8po1_1280.jpg

(Don't worry, the bedding is NOT sawdust! It's equine pelleted bedding that was soaked and fluffed, not dusty, safe, decomposes well, and makes cleaning a breeze)

I'll be finding out on Monday how the hatch went! With luck all will go well and in a few days I'll have my little ones home safe and sound!

Our leg band pack arrived yesterday! I picked out the colors to ID my birds :)

Jack is what I plan to name my cockeral, Anne and Mary for the pullets, and Max in case an extra is sent. Yes, they are pirate inspired names, haha. ("Calico Jack," Anne Bonny, and Mary Reed...plus Max, a character from a show I very much enjoy)

The hatch went well and my chicks are now on their way!

In the meantime, I'll just be sitting here panicking. We're picking up more probiotics and vitamins tomorrow, didn't realize we were out.

They're being shipped Priority Express 2-Day and it is driving me crazy! I just want the little ones here ASAP, for their sake and mine. I keep trying to do illogical calculations in my mind, haha. The hatchery is 7 hours by car, and 3 or 4 by plane...then it'll go to one of two cities, and one is 3 hours away, and the other is 2 hours away...then it'll either go straight to my post office (where I'll pick them up as soon as I get the call letting me know they've arrived), or to the closest "city" (a big town, really) and then to my post office.

So they were processed at 2pm today. Now, not accounting for traffic/mail routes/etc, that'd be roughly 12 hours by car, 8 with a plane between the hatchery and farther away city.

Best case scenario would be approx. 6 hours in total. That is highly unlikely. At least I'm not too worried about how the post will handle them, I've done a lot of live-animal shipping (from spiders and scorpions to pigeons and ducks) and have never had issues...whew, deep breaths...I can do this!

I'll just keep sending hopeful and loving vibes to the little ones, wherever they may be at this moment.
th.gif

Thank you! I am fretting like a, well, a mother hen lol! My latest update is that the chicks arrived at the closest major postal station(?) a little over two hours ago. If the post office doesn't call in the next few hours I'll call them again and ask about it.

For now, while I take deep breaths haha, have some pictures of my mom's chicks hanging out with my sibling! They've definitely warmed up to people a lot more in the past week. Two weeks old now, I think. Looks like we have four sebrights, one EE, and we think Hazle (the milk-chocolate chipmunk haha) is either a Dutch or OEG bantam.

Love your post!! Is today the day? Or tomorrow
1f643.png
1f643.png

I am currently waiting on some Cayuga ducks to hatch and I understand how the suspense must be killing you! Especially after all your set backs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom