Getting new Peachicks

Bird Ranger

Songster
7 Years
Apr 8, 2017
Lahore,Pakistan.
just started with peafowl a couple of months ago.I got black shoulder pair and IB pair .I am really getting fond of them and looking forward to introduce some new colour to my pen.A local seller agreed to sell me chicks after a month or 2 from now but the problem is I haven't got a large pen.I haven't asked my father for another pen yet may be he will agree.But some questions still remain.
1.Do peacocks kill or harm the chicks which aren't theirs(if not i can introduce them to my existing pen)?
2.Which colours are better ro start with white,cameo,green or some others(the man i am getting them from has many varities)?
3.At which age should i buy chicks?
Any help would be appreciated plz share your experience with me I am eager to learn.

Last edited:
Until the chicks are feathered out don't put them with adults, and then only the females as the males will fight. As regards colour I would advise just to choose which ever looks nicest to you, but I encourage the purchase of Green Peafowl as they are endangered. If you have a heated brooder than you can get very young chicks but if you don't then wait until they can survive without heat.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your views but I dont think the chicks will need a heat brooder as I live in Pakistan as its very warm over, this warm that may be we will switch on our air conditioners in a couple of weeks.
What do u say now?

If you are fairly new to the peafowl world I would not recommend starting with Green Peafowl. They are more touchy than the regular blues. I also agree that having a heated brooder is important even if it is hot out. It protects them from drafts and even in the hottest climates the mother will still cover the chicks. She lifts her wings and fidgets to regulate temperature but even so she still keeps them warm.

Back
Top Bottom