Peachick color and pattern question

Peafowlmama

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2023
#1 and #2 are in question, IB or Bronze? I have a separator for the incubators, so each egg has its own dedicated space. I accidentally threw away the labeled IB and Bronze eggshells.

#3 and #4 I know came out of a labeled Bronze egg and curious, if these look like silver pied or anything else seeing I do have a White Purple split Opal cock in the bronze pen as well. I’m sure they both carry the BS pattern. I was also told from the breeder I bought the bronze pair from if I hatch out of white chick from them, they would be silver pied.

My Bronze pen is:
Peahen - Bronze Pied WE
Peacock - Bronze Pied WE and White Purple split Opal

Thank You!

Attachments

• 8B08EF88-C5F1-4D40-B375-045961879322.jpeg
    8B08EF88-C5F1-4D40-B375-045961879322.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 32B5A64D-7724-4F4B-B9D2-5F0235BE80F8.jpeg
    32B5A64D-7724-4F4B-B9D2-5F0235BE80F8.jpeg
    598.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0966.jpeg
    IMG_0966.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 28
Even with the fact of white eye being present it does not appear any of these are bronze. The bronzes I've hatched are much darker as chicks. some almost as much as mid spalding chicks.
I agree with the darkness not being here on these current peachicks (2023). I’ll add a photo of last years peachicks same age and those had the same adults together. I’ll also add the previous mixed hatched as they grew out.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_5028.jpeg
    IMG_5028.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0999.png
    IMG_0999.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5028.jpeg
    IMG_5028.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
"Peacock - Bronze Pied WE and White Purple split Opal"

I am trying to make sense of this, are there two cocks? One Bronze Pied WE and a White Purple split Opal?

If you mean you have a Bronze Pied WE split Purple and Opal that is an interesting bird and would have a lot of breeding possibilities.

If you are saying he is split White that is quite redundant as all Pieds carry a White gene. Do you realize that he can produce Taupe with a Taupe hen? Purple with a Purple hen? and Bronze with a Bronze hen. But I don't believe that he can be split to two sex-linked colors without actually being one of them.

Example, I have a Purple split Opal and Peach. He is a sex-linked color that is split to another sex-linked color and a non-sex-linked color. That works but I don't think there is enough room on that part of the chromosome for two sex-linked splits and be Bronze at the same time.

Sorry, I think that double posted. I am definitely not used to this forum. Plus my Internet is really slow. in regards to the chick that hatched previously that was an IB/Bronze mix I’m not sure which one that was in the multi photo I uploaded just given a comparison of how the colors were so different versus this hatch if that makes sense I’m so sorry
"Peacock - Bronze Pied WE and White Purple split Opal"

I am trying to make sense of this, are there two cocks? One Bronze Pied WE and a White Purple split Opal?

If you mean you have a Bronze Pied WE split Purple and Opal that is an interesting bird and would have a lot of breeding possibilities.

If you are saying he is split White that is quite redundant as all Pieds carry a White gene. Do you realize that he can produce Taupe with a Taupe hen? Purple with a Purple hen? and Bronze with a Bronze hen. But I don't believe that he can be split to two sex-linked colors without actually being one of them.

Example, I have a Purple split Opal and Peach. He is a sex-linked color that is split to another sex-linked color and a non-sex-linked color. That works but I don't think there is enough room on that part of the chromosome for two sex-linked splits and be Bronze at the same time.

two cocks being, 1 Bronze Pied WE and 1 White Purple split Opal. I kept the “White” in the bronze pen while building the add on because I figured it wouldn’t confuse the breeding because he’s white and the Bronze Pied WE carry White. Well being new to genetics and not realizing what the White carried until recently (I thought white was just that, white lol)
So to be clear, having the “White” in the Bronze pen will just create a Bronze right? I had no idea about putting the “White” with a Purple or Taupe hen, That’s super cool! There’s a lot to learn here :)

Attachments

• IMG_0999.png
    IMG_0999.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
So to be clear, having the “White” in the Bronze pen will just create a Bronze right? I had no idea about putting the “White” with a Purple or Taupe hen, That’s super cool! There’s a lot to learn here :)
You can not create Bronze with only one Bronze parent, the same with Opal. The White Opal split Purple will never give you Bronze. However, when bred to your Bronze hens it will produce mostly IB with a few Purple hens and no Opal unless the hen is split Opal.

The Bronze cock with your Bronze hen will produce Bronze 100% of the time. If you got IB chicks it was from the other cock.

Back
Top Bottom