Hens vs Chicks....

ch1ckenmama

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2016
Our brooder is in the chicken coop so our hens have seen the chicks for about 3-4 weeks. Today I let them hens roam and put the chicks into our covered run to play and explore. The hens went into the run and seemed to be doing good. Then a couple of the hens started chasing the chicks and pulling a bunch of feathers out of the chicks. I no this is normal but what is too much and to start getting worried? I made a "Safe box" that only the chicks can fit in so they can get away if need and they were using it. I eventually got the hens out and blocked the small coop door so they cant get in to give the chicks a break. Is it best to just let them do their chicken thing so they know whos boss? Lol! This is our second year with chickens and first year having to introduce chicks to hens. Any help would be great!!!

Maybe a run outside would be better so they are seeing them all the time while outside. That is what i do and i don't have any severe pecking problems, just a little warning sound from a hen when the chicks, who are about eight weeks old, get too close. Maybe they need more time separate. If they begin bleeding, then hens will continue to peck until they are dead. Hope this helps!

The first few days of mingling I sit and supervise, that I separate the chicks back out if things get to be what I think is excessive. I do this daily until there is less aggression and chasing. Sometimes they are okay the first day, and other years it takes a week or two until I feel comfortable leaving them together.

It's good to make sure the chicks have escape routes, things they can duck under but the hens can't is a good idea, so is your box.

The first few days of mingling I sit and supervise, that I separate the chicks back out if things get to be what I think is excessive. I do this daily until there is less aggression and chasing. Sometimes they are okay the first day, and other years it takes a week or two until I feel comfortable leaving them together.

It's good to make sure the chicks have escape routes, things they can duck under but the hens can't is a good idea, so is your box.

The poor chicks seem scared of the hens. I have 2 hens that will not leave them alone. As days go by it seems to get a little better. They LOVE the "Safe Box". Started out with just a big cardboard box BUT it rained. So today I bought 2 big tupperware boxes. Going to cut a door for the chicks only and some ventilation. One in the run and one in the coop. They have out grown the brooding box so Im hoping these will help them.

It's good they are scared of the older birds, they should be, it will keep them safer if they stay away from them.

If you cut a hole on each end of the tote the chicks can run through them for better escapes. It can take a few weeks before everyone is more comfortable, but the older hens will always rule the coop, and the young ones will need to respect them.

It's good to have multiple feeding and water stations so everyone can get some.

It's good they are scared of the older birds, they should be, it will keep them safer if they stay away from them.

If you cut a hole on each end of the tote the chicks can run through them for better escapes. It can take a few weeks before everyone is more comfortable, but the older hens will always rule the coop, and the young ones will need to respect them.

It's good to have multiple feeding and water stations so everyone can get some.

Good idea. I will make sure to make a door at each end for them.
1f44d-1f3fc.png
I have two differnt feeder and water areas in the coop and also food and water in the run.
Thanks for your help and ideas. This is the first time we had to introduce chicks so im clueless to what is normal. I knew the hens will rule the roost amd for the most part the chicks keep thier distance. Every once in awhile youll hear a squack. But I think they are starting to slowly get use to them. And chicks diffently keep their distance. Lol

It is hard to listen to the kids screaming occasionally, but it's similar to a pinch by grandma to remind you to mind your manners.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom