breeding frizzle

DK

Songster
15 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Alabama
I would like to learn more about breeding frizzle.I have 27 frizzle some are real frizzle some are smooth feather do the smooth have the frizzle gene and can you breed them together ? I have the standard cochins bantam I read this is what you breed the frizzle to. [ Dont want no naked chicken ] DK

Most people breeding Frizzles breed only Frizzle to Smooth. Two copies of the Frizzle gene will cause feathers in 50% of the offspring to be brittle so they break off, or very sparse to start with. There is also organ problems that can occur. I raise Sizzles a breed being developed from a Silkie/Frizzled Cochin Cross. I use the Frizzled hens with the smooth rooster. It is simply a preference. The little girl Sizzles are usually nicer looking in my opinion. When breeding the smooth roo to the curly girls, they do suffer a bit more than a normally feathered chicken from bare back. I use saddles at the beginning of the breeding season to protect the backs and I try to keep at least 4 hens to one rooster or I allow him only several hours a day with the girls.

Not sure how much more I can tell you. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

I have used the Silkies exclusively after the first cross. I use Sizzle females and Silkie Roosters or a smooth Sizzle. You will get around 50 % Frizzled birds with a Smooth/Frizzle mating. If you use a smooth bird from such a mating your will increase your percentage of Frizzles.

You do need a bird with the frizzling expressed in your pair in order to get any offspring with frizzling.

If they have smooth feathers they are not a frizzle. A frizzle has to have the curled feathers. If it is smooth its just whatever breed it is. Like there are frizzled Polish, if the have smooth feathers they are just Polish chickens. What breed of Frizzle do you have?

Iv been thinging about ordering some silkie but i guess i need to learn one thing at a time. All this breeding stuff and gene this and that is new to me we used to just put them in a pen and let nature take over and see what came out . DK

Frizzle cochins bantams They all came together from ideal so the smooth one dont have the gene that make the feather frizzled. most are female. DK

Yes, in theory if you want to avoid double dose of frizzle in one bird.

Frizzle is a dominant gene, if it's not in the phenotype, the bird don't have it.

As ugly as a double dose frizzle is, it is the quickest way to increase the # of your stock (a double dose roo pen up with any # of straight feathered hens will yield 100% frizzle).

this is a double dose rooster

DSCF2504.jpg

Back
Top Bottom