Your way to selling eggs?

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I am planning on selling my eggs. I know that i'm going to have the date on them and all that stuff but I got to thinking... I have a rooster in with my hens so they are "fertilized" till I stick them in the refrigerator. Does any of you sell your eggs when you have had the rooster in with the hens? How do ya'll do your selling?

I have not sold any eggs although I have given plenty away to friends and family. I have a rooster with my girls and I know that my eggs are fertilized. I don't think you have to worry about fertilized eggs developing unless you leave them under a Broody hen. Eggs need to be incubated for 24 hours at a temperature around 99 degrees in order to start developing. I don't refridgerate my eggs and have never had a problem with any of them. Everyone that I have given eggs to have always told me how good they were.

I have also read here on BYC about people that have purchased fertilized refrigerated eggs from the grocery store and have succesfully incubated and hatched them.

I sell my eggs and the hens are all with roosters (3 of the crazy boys) My customers don't seem to care. I collect every day and put in the fridge. Unless they know what to look for (the white bull's eye) they won't know the difference. I have explained all of this too. Doesn't matter.

Also, I probably sell a little unconventional. I posted it on Facebook, and all of my customers are my friends. They keep me busy. I have 31 hens, and sell about 8 dozen a week. I'm sure it will pick up in the spring/summer. I don't take the time to date the eggs, they don't last long enough, I sell out every week!

and just an FYI I sell for $3/dozen. Unless someone buys 2 dozen and brings back cartons, then it's $2.50/dozen.

Don't worry about the fertility. Your customers won't know the difference. I sell about 15 dozen a week to coworkers. (I work at the Toyota Camry factory here in KY) If I want to hatch chicks, I just keep the best looking eggs to incubate. I used to print labels at home but found that the ink smeared from moisture in the fridge. Plus, my customers said don't bother with the labels they know who I am. LOL. I use clear plastic egg cartons from eggcartons.com. I found that everyone likes to see the different shades of brown, speckles and blue/greens. Oh, plus the cartons are recyclable!
a thought...
I put a "laid on" date on my labels instead of expiration. People responded well to that. It made them realize how FRESH their eggs were, not when they were going "expire".

Does any of your eggs have blood spots in them frequently? And did you pick out 3 dollars a dozen as a fair price or did you find out that would make you a profit? Just wondering...

I don't usually get blood spots. I chose $3/dozen because free-range organic eggs at the store were $3.79/dozen. I don't really think I'm turning a profit yet, my husband said I would have to charge $300/dozen!!
lau.gif

My girls eat about $60/month worth of feed, but this is all I keep track of. This is our first year so I've spent a ton on having the coop built, waterers/feeders, heater for waterers, bedding, incubator
big_smile.png
, and everything else! I mostly do it because I love my chickens!!

i plan to start selling this spring trying $3 dozen. mine do have blood spots, didnt occur to me that might be an issue-hope it isnt. i dont have a rooster in there yet.
smile.png

oh i know. It would take 20 or more years to make up for the run and coop and everything else.
roll.png
I was thinking for the price of feed like you said. Yah, I don't know about the blood spots either. I guess if i explain about it than it shouldn't be that big a deal. Ya'll agree?

We sell all of ours and no one ask if their is a rooster or not. People do not care all they care about is taste. We have gotten customers from other egg sellers because our free range eggs taste better than their fed chicken feed eggs. I know of those here trying to sell for $3 but they are not selling much. We are selling $1.50 dozen and $2.50 for 18. Sell out everytime too. BTW the other person who used to sell eggs that one of our customers bought from was charging $1.25, customer thinks ours are worth the extra .25 cents. When I sell at the farmers market I will be asking $2 a dozen.

Back
Top Bottom