SILKIE colors and what do you get when you cross colors

FrenchToast

"Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven
12 Years
Jan 10, 2010
UP North WI
Hello,

I am new here a new to chickens as well. I have fallen in love with silkies and have decided I would like to get a few pairs to breed etc.

Is there a good site that would tell me what colors I would expect to get with different crosses. Sorry I didn't pay much attention in biology class so I need a refresher in genetics! LOL

What about breeding a bearded with a non bearded?

Thanks in advance

most people keep the colors separate only certain colors can be shown. white with white, buff to buff, ect. but you can keep blue black and splash all in one pen, most abbreviate this as BBS. pick a color you like and go from there they are addictive fluff balls

most people keep the colors separate only certain colors can be shown. white with white, buff to buff, ect. but you can keep blue black and splash all in one pen, most abbreviate this as BBS. pick a color you like and go from there they are addictive fluff balls sorry this computer keeps double posting

Last edited:
If you breed a black to a blue it will make splash. Everything else will just be called a calico (mixed between colors is the name).

Quote:
Thats not right. Year of the Rooster is correct above. And not all mixed colors are called calico either.

With mixed colors you'll never know what will you come out with. But if you wanting to breed, sell, or show it's better to keep colors together.

At a county fair once I saw a beautiful buff/splash cross--she had a creamy buff base with dark flecks of gray & caramel. I am hoping to put buff & splash together to get a similar result. Though am hearing it could be various results--smutty buff, etc. My avatar hen was a result of a blue/buff mating with her smoky face. Granted, I don't plan to show birds and choose this project for my time & resources for our own personal enjoyment.

Well, maybe I can tell ya, in a few minutes here!
lau.gif

I am in the middle of a hatch from my Silkies. I have all of my Silkies penned together for the winter, for warmth. A girl I work with asked me to hatch her some, and didn't care about color. In my pen I have white, buff, splash, and blue.

As soon as they all dry off and fluff up, I will take a picture for ya.

ive heard white crossed with any color produces white i was also wondering if i pen(free range) my 10 silkys together 5blue/black and 5white will they separate into groups whites staying together and blues together?

Back
Top Bottom